Front driveshaft noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read and read about this but I still have a question. I am getting a noise that sounds like it's coming from under the center of the jeep. It's a 2002 4wd part-time Liberty.

If started out as a clicking a couple days ago which I noticed when I was pulling up to a stop sign. It has graduated to more of a grinding clicking now. I can only really hear it when I'm going fairly slow. No odd behavior other than the noise. I can hear it in neutral, drifting with the the engine off. Applying brakes makes no difference. It's not terribly loud and I have to turn the radio off to hear it clearly.

Here's where it gets a little weird. It seems like it only makes the noise in 2wd. If I put it in 4wd and give it a little gas it seems to go away and I don't hear it when slowing down, as if a bit of torque on it quiets it down. Since most people talk about hearing the front driveshaft going bad when they are in 4wd, mine seems a bit different.

I suspect the driveshaft because of where the noise is coming from, but I'm really relying on listening while I'm in the jeep, and opening the door and windows and trying to identify the source, it doesn't sound like it is coming from the front wheel, but I know that noises can sometimes cause illusions,

I further suspect the prop shaft because I had it off when I pulled the engine, and put it back on a couple weeks ago, and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. It went back on fine but I confess I didn't really inspect it at all, and I didn't mark it when I took it off so it just went back on whichever way,.

I know I can drive without it and see if the noise goes away and that is my plan, but I need to drive it until the weekend when I'll be able to remove it. Any reason to fear some uber catastrophic failure until then? Any reason to suspect something other than the driveshaft?

Thanks,

Bob

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, one more odd thing. I don't seem to hear it after the jeep had been sitting for a while, like overnight or all day while I'm at work, but then I start to hear it after I have been driving for a bit, like 15 minutes or so. Weird.

rbtconsultants

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it was the driveshaft cv joint. I was mainly wondering if it was safe to drive. No matter. Got to it today. It was the driveshaft cv joint. Driveshaft removed for now.

Thanks

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it was the driveshaft cv joint. I was mainly wondering if it was safe to drive. No matter. Got to it today. It was the driveshaft cv joint. Driveshaft removed for now.

Thanks

Bob

Plenty safe to drive as long as you don't engage 4wd.