Front driveshaft bad...Confirmation??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for confirmation that I need to rebuild the front shaft. I'm not completely familiar with the cv joints in them. I can rebuild it without issue, just want to make sure the movement is not normal. There is fore and aft play that I think is normal, but no the rotational. Also, this is the joint at the rear of the front shaft at the transfer case.

Here's a video with the rotational movement I'm referring to:

https://youtu.be/2qtP9gXnwZQ

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong but there is minimal play on the frontdrive shift due to the backlash. Your boot is already gone so you should replace it anyways.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shaft rotating is the backlash in the diff., but the outer of the rear cv does not rotate with the shaft, leading me to believe there is play in the rear cv joint. I'm pretty sure there should be very, very little play or non at all.

Edit: Just looked closer at the vid/pic and now see the boot is gone. I just did a quick look and noticed the play so video'd it real quick. Guess either way it needs to be done then.

Last edited:

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got front and rear cv's ordered last night. Hopefully be doing them next weekend.

Getting them from 1A Auto. $90 for both with free shipping and lifetime warranty. May not be the best, but with the warranty, figured h*ll with it, especially since Advance Auto wants $170ish per joint.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI for anyone looking to get the replacement cv's from 1A Auto.

The rear cv went on fine without issue. The front I had to chamfer the rear side of the splines on the inside rear of the front cv so that it would sit further back as needed to be able to get the snap ring on. There wasn't enough of a chamfer on the splines and they were bottoming out on the raised lip.

Also, the included snap rings were too large, had to reuse the originals. The replacement bolts looked and felt REALLY cheap, so I, again, reused the originals.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.