front drivesahft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello..i own an 02 kj limited and ive been thinking about getting a custom made front driveshaft with u joint instead of cv´s. is there a problem that i should know before i do this, ive read about some vibration, how to solve this issue abput the vibration? thank you

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the CV joint style driveshaft.You need to have the correct angles to use the 2 types of driveshafts with u-joints and you can not adjust the angles on the front of a KJ to eliminate vibes.

You must be registered for see images attach

Above is 1 u-joint per end.

You must be registered for see images attach

The above is not to be confused with the actual constant velocity joint driveshaft you have already on the front,it's the double cardon u-jointed driveshafts.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info TJKJ, so theres no point changing the cv for the u joint, im asking to do this cause in my country, we have a problem with replacement parts, we dont have any parts. so its simpler to build a u joint driveshaft than find and buy a cv, but with the pic you showed me im gonna try to find the replacement. thanks again

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post pics at some point, but I bought a custom driveshaft for mine from a local who had the same idea.

double cardans on trans end and transfercase end.

kj2002vzla

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did u install it yet? Because i understand what TJKJ means but the CV´s are so weak and the thing is that my old driveshaft was so destroyed cause the ******** use that i need a new one and i cant find a new one for less than 1000$ plus install, so its cheaper to make a new one with u joints but i dont want any vibrations so i dont know what to do...

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just removed it and installed a stock CV shaft.

It did vibrate more than a good CV does.

CV's are stronger than Ujoints in most respects; there is more contact surface in them.

I see your prices are a result of location. That really is terrible.

The reality is that you do NOT need a double cardan on both ends for the reasons you might think. The front diff and trans do not move (much) during driving, so the movement of the CV is purely to allow for the drop in height from the ground between the diff and tcase.
The reason you would need double cardan on both ends is to keep the shaft symmetrical (thus balanced) during rotation.

Take it to a driveshaft shop, tell them what you want done. shouldn't be a big deal.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
hello..i own an 02 kj limited and ive been thinking about getting a custom made front driveshaft with u joint instead of cv´s. is there a problem that i should know before i do this, ive read about some vibration, how to solve this issue abput the vibration? thank you

This place has CV's for both ends of the front shaft.
ME709: Driveshaft Parts
If they will not ship to you I would be willing to get the kits and ship them to you. I guess that UPS,DHL,or somebody goes down there. Of course you would have to pay for the parts and shipping. I wonder if the US Postal Service goes there,might be slow but I bet they do. We could do PayPal or some sort of money order. Heck I don't see why that web site would not ship.
Just checked USPS,flat rate box is only $59.95
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices...gDate=12/2/2013&MailingTime=8:00 AM&dv=200.00

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online