Front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiggere

Reaction score
I pulled the front drive shaft today due to some noise and vibrations...everything quit afterwards but I have decided to leave it out and not replace it for the time being...are there covers that someone makes to keep road grime out where the shaft connects at front pumpkin and trans?

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Murphy's law -- if you fix it you will never need it but if you don't you are going to find yourself needing 4-wheel drive real soon.

You don't need a cover just hit with brake cleaner and some rags when you reinstall.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any covers, but I've been going a year without mine and that will be the plan for me to clean it up with some brake clean like jeepop said.

Avoid putting grease or anything that would attract allow things to cling to them.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the front drive shaft today due to some noise and vibrations...everything quit afterwards but I have decided to leave it out and not replace it for the time being...are there covers that someone makes to keep road grime out where the shaft connects at front pumpkin and trans?
Get the rebuild kits from driveshaftparts.com. Usually it is the rear joint. I replace both when i have the shaft out of the jeep. That is, if they are bad of course!

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the rebuild kits from driveshaftparts.com. Usually it is the rear joint. I replace both when i have the shaft out of the jeep. That is, if they are bad of course!

Not to hijack the thread, but that's my plan when its time to go back in for mine. I believe there's a tear on the rear boot of mine, so it at least needs that. If they are in great shape and not need of a rebuild, I'm guessing its still worth inspecting/cleaning and repacking with some new moly?

tiggere

Reaction score
Thing is that the rear and the front cv joints seem fine...no tears in the boots and they both move smoothly...like really smooth...there is a lot of vibration and chatter around 40 mph though and as soon as we removed the shaft no more noise...so one is going out it just isn't apparent which...

Actually...after watching a video on replacing the CV joint...I am 99% sure the dust cover on the rear stayed in the hole...there is no dust cover on the shaft sitting on my workbench...will verify tomorrow...

Last edited:
Reactions: JRB

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but that's my plan when its time to go back in for mine. I believe there's a tear on the rear boot of mine, so it at least needs that. If they are in great shape and not need of a rebuild, I'm guessing its still worth inspecting/cleaning and repacking with some new moly?
If you have over 75-80,000 miles on the front shaft , rebuild at least the rear
All that I have done were in that mileage range when they started to go bad

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thing is that the rear and the front cv joints seem fine...no tears in the boots and they both move smoothly...like really smooth...there is a lot of vibration and chatter around 40 mph though and as soon as we removed the shaft no more noise...so one is going out it just isn't apparent which...

Actually...after watching a video on replacing the CV joint...I am 99% sure the dust cover on the rear stayed in the hole...there is no dust cover on the shaft sitting on my workbench...will verify tomorrow...
They deteriorate by 75000 miles, so no you may not find anything
Its not in the hole LOL
Its gone and would have to come out with the whole driveshaft

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Yes. there is an accordion boot on the forward end and a "hidden" boot on the aft. If yours are missing/deteriorated its time to rebuild the CVs

DaGrinch

Reaction score
Sorry... kind of... to revive this thread, BUT.... I'm looking for some ideas and/or thoughts to see if anyone thinks what I have falls into the above category.
I have an '06 Liberty with 143K. I bought it 7 years ago with 115K. It's primarily my towed vehicle behind my motor home and my secondary here at the house. Had a front end alignment about a year ago after I had replaced shocks and struts. About a month ago, I was traveling on the interstate at 72+/-mph and when I got off the exit ramp and going around a roundabout, I noticed a vibration in the front end. I was going about 30mph around the roundabout at the time. So, of course this heightened my awareness of what was going on and turned off the tunes. I then noticed a humming noise starting about 40mph up to around 50mph. I took the vehicle to my mechanic and he stated that my front tires were cupped. Got 2 new front tires and wanted them to do another alignment. No go on the alignment - supposedly I needed new lower ball joints. I asked my mechanic and he said he didn't see anything wrong with them. Had my son take the Liberty to a transmission place I trusted - of course, they said I needed new tires in the back to not screw up the 4wheel drive. So, new tires on the back.
I still have the hum above 40 mph and I there's a vibration on and off the throttle at around 40-50. I also get a little vibration at around 25. I'm at a loss. My mechanic, who is an experienced guy, has had the car and driven it for the last week checking things. Still, no go.
Thoughts?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The jeep is 2WD until you pull the shifter back! The garage ripped you off.
Is the noise from the front or rear?