Front Diff? Rebuild, remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stainless

Reaction score
I’ve got an 03 Rocky Mountain edition that’s making front diff noise. While driving, it sounds like some plastic piece is loose, just a light clacking, but when it was in for an oil change, they put it up on the lift and said the pinion bearing was shot, to the point where it’s vibrating and howling.

I wasn’t there to see it, and I won’t be home to look at it for at least a few days because I’m a truck driver.

They’re not a shop that does diff work, but they said that I’m probably looking at a front diff rebuild. So, what are my options here? I’ve done some quick searches, and ring/pinions sets vary wildly in price. I believe I have 3.73 gears (V6, automatic, selec-trac), but I won’t know for sure until I get home and can see my notes on it.

It’s aggravating that they built it without hubs that can shut off the 4wd system. Can this thing stay driveable with the front diff emptied out? (My old Jimmy could)

Any info is appreciated - If you’ve rebuilt yours, how much did it cost? Where’s the best place to buy gears?

I had a situation last year where it wouldn’t shift into 4wd a few times. Once I had the back end on ice, and in 4wdHi and Low, it just spun the rear tires. Then there was a hard clunk and the front end engaged. Is there any adjustment that can be done, or is that a symptom of something worse?

Thanks!
-Al.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Front diffs are a time a dozen, at least for the 3:73s. I'd get one from a junkyard.

Renedave

Reaction score
It’s aggravating that they built it without hubs that can shut off the 4wd system. Can this thing stay driveable with the front diff emptied out? (My old Jimmy could)

You can remove the ring gear and front driveshaft as long as the spider gears are intact, they're needed support the axle shafts.

Any info is appreciated - If you’ve rebuilt yours, how much did it cost? Where’s the best place to buy gears?

The Dana 30a uses a unique pinion gear, so you're stuck buying OEM gears. For the price Hoosier is right, a junkyard center section from a gasser V6 is the way to go.

I had a situation last year where it wouldn’t shift into 4wd a few times. Once I had the back end on ice, and in 4wdHi and Low, it just spun the rear tires. Then there was a hard clunk and the front end engaged. Is there any adjustment that can be done, or is that a symptom of something worse?

There's a bushing on the end of the transfer case shifter cable that disintegrates over time. While you're under the Jeep look at the lever on the side of the transfer case and see if the cable's loose. The internals of the transfer case are chains and a shift fork, they either work or they don't, so if there's 4WD shifting issues it's almost always the mechanical linkage having slack or having come disconnected.

Latest posts

Members online