Front D30a LSD/locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I think Tom already responded to these questions, but hoping for more input from the group... does anyone have experience installing/driving/wheeling a Eaton Truetrac or Eaton E-locker on the D30a? Does a locker/LSD put more strain on the housing; or, conversely, does it equalize loads? Worth it/cost? Affect steering/2hi driving? What are your overall impressions?

Basically I have an 02 limited (130k easy miles) with the oem trac lok rear and I'd like to install something in the front to equalize grip/off road performance. NOT expecting to rock crawl, but do want a competent offroader that can handle most situations. First thought was the TT, but a few shops have suggested that only a selectable locker is appropriate for the front differential. At 1700 installed in a questionably troublesome D30a, not sure that's a good investment. Maybe put the locker in the rear? But, OTOH, I already have a LSD so not sure it'd be worth the extra cost. Thoughts???

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A locker in the front is great.
What happens when someone blows theirs up is it is spinning, one wheel catches suddenly and there you are
With a locker you lock it it, no spinning, does not hurt the front diff
I would do both front and rear, stock trash lock is just that, better than nothing but not by much
If they ( some shops) are suggesting on only a selectible like ARB, move on to another shop. They don't know crap
Of course a ARB etc is better but a DTT will work just fine, One tap of the brakes before I start up a hill etc and it is locked in and ready to go

I know you wanted more input from others, search over on LOSTJEEPs , many discussions over the years and many have ran the DTT up front with no issues

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Good suggestion, will do.

I'm still torn on the TT vs. the locker - this KJ needs to be a do-it-all vehicle which means driving through snow to a trail that may or may not require a locker to get through. Even though the trac lok gets a bad rep, at 130k mine is still pretty functional (can't spin tires in the rain and will go sideways if stupid with throttle in the snow - what more can you ask of a LSD?). Yes, it's still a LSD and won't be that useful in serious off road conditions, but in the short time I've owned my KJ it's already proven worthwhile in combo with the select trac differential at 60mph in mixed snow/wet/ice situations. So I'm reluctant to swap it out in the rear.

BTW, about the only shop local to me that felt confident working on the D30a (though admittedly they don't have any experience with the D30a, which makes me more nervous) is 4WD parts. Any thoughts on them as a service shop?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. Good suggestion, will do.

I'm still torn on the TT vs. the locker - this KJ needs to be a do-it-all vehicle which means driving through snow to a trail that may or may not require a locker to get through. Even though the trac lok gets a bad rep, at 130k mine is still pretty functional (can't spin tires in the rain and will go sideways if stupid with throttle in the snow - what more can you ask of a LSD?). Yes, it's still a LSD and won't be that useful in serious off road conditions, but in the short time I've owned my KJ it's already proven worthwhile in combo with the select trac differential at 60mph in mixed snow/wet/ice situations. So I'm reluctant to swap it out in the rear.

BTW, about the only shop local to me that felt confident working on the D30a (though admittedly they don't have any experience with the D30a, which makes me more nervous) is 4WD parts. Any thoughts on them as a service shop?
Has to be a better place than them I would think