Front bumper options.

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Jaybird91, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Jaybird91

Jaybird91 Full Access Member

Hello i wanted to see if anyone tried to use this i found online . I was thinking of upgrading my front bumper on my 04 KJ but it is fabricated for 07+ Wrangler , JL, and JT. I like it and its cheaper than ARB . Can it be done? Any tips thanks! 91249324-68B0-447E-8F0B-4EAEDE053429.png

Attached Files:

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Can it be done ? Sure anything can be done with enough welding and cutting
    Will it look good ? NO !!
    It will look like exactly what it is, a bumper from another model, not the right width, will not fit the front curves that KJs have and look like you went to junkyard and just grabbed anything
    The TJs/ JKs etc have a flat front, KJs are curved, so you end up with center touching the grill and the outside edges sticking way out in front of the flares
    PLUS the fact you will never get it bolted on as strong as an ARB and have seen pictures of many of them torn off due to just slapping them on

IF and I say IF there was a bumper from a TJ/JK/ etc that looked like it would fit right and look good I would of done it YEARS ago.
    I even have a mount welded up here to mount a TJ bumper to, that would be easy to fit, strong and dependable but never found a bumper that would not stick out like a zit on the end of your girlfriends nose

Now if you want to know how I really feel about it ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  3. Jaybird91

Jaybird91 Full Access Member

Thanks . Thats what I needed.. some good honest feedback. I came across the “rock lizard fab” design but is discontinued from what i found. So the only real way is ARB.?

4. tommudd

I had one of the last Rock Lizard bumpers and that was back in 2012 I think
    So yes ARB is about it , sad, but KJs are such a small market
    I built 10 rear KJ bumpers back years ago
    Problem is you have to produce a 100 or more to make it even half way profitable

LibertyTC likes this.
  5. Doing10to20

Doing10to20 Full Access Member

Those tj bumpers can look good..you just need to do a bit of work around them to get them too. But I've seen 2 so far one in moab and one here in AZ where the guys did them right, installed right and secure and they had function turn signals and had cleaned up at the bad looking plastic and closed up the gaps. Both had winches installed on them also.They looked clean,I say go for it

6. tommudd

Have to do a lot of cutting/ trimming/ redo mounts etc to look even half way good, plus proportions are generally way off as far as matching width, grill opening etc
    Not something I would want hanging on the front of mine
    with that said I have had 4 different TJ/JK bumpers here trying to out, 2 each from different manufactures

Much easier to start from scratch