Front Brake Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to do the fronts before we take our yearly summer trip, pads and rotors. I had my expectations blown away when I did my dads 02 JGC Laredo with Brembo blanks and new pads but cannot seem to find anyone who carries the model/part for the Liberty.

That being said, what are some recommendations on rotors/pads?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Centric rotors. Right now I'm running Powerstop rotors and their Z23 sport ceramic pads. Have about 7k on them. Quiet, low dust and stops good. Had EBC Green stuff pads up front before. They were ok but really dusty.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had EBC years ago on a different car and was not impressed. I always did well with Hawk HPS pads and powerslot rotors but again different kind of car. I was tempted to go with Centric but there are A LOT of options on rotor type. I'm not looking for slotted or drilled but a nice blank whether it has some extras like a coating or not I'm not sure.

Then the pads, I want something robust that is also quiet because the last go round I listened to my neighbor and got Autozone rotors and pads and they have been garbage since day 1.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Then the pads, I want something robust that is also quiet because the last go round I listened to my neighbor and got Autozone rotors and pads and they have been garbage since day 1.

Yeah, cheaply made from China with iffy QC. Been there done that; used to work there too.. unless you like to replace brakes every 30,000 miles, then they're ok. Usually the rotors are close to min specs and warp easily, pads have too much black paint that needs to be ground off of the backing plates to fit (I find that true with many aftermarket pads though).

I hear good things about the brake components you can get at NAPA, but haven't tried them myself.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have Napa premium rotors on my XJ with Napa semi metallic pad. Noisy as hell and dusty. Stops good though.

I just put Akebono pads on my LR3 and like them a lot, will probably try them on the KJ next round.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, cheaply made from China with iffy QC. Been there done that; used to work there too.. unless you like to replace brakes every 30,000 miles, then they're ok. Usually the rotors are close to min specs and warp easily, pads have too much black paint that needs to be ground off of the backing plates to fit (I find that true with many aftermarket pads though).

I hear good things about the brake components you can get at NAPA, but haven't tried them myself.
I've gotten about 30k out of this set from Autozone, funny you stated that mileage. They felt cheap from day 1 as I said with very little bite and they warm up and fade quick. Always feel like I'm having to stomp the pedal to stop the car.

I have Napa premium rotors on my XJ with Napa semi metallic pad. Noisy as hell and dusty. Stops good though.

I just put Akebono pads on my LR3 and like them a lot, will probably try them on the KJ next round.
Akebono, added to the comparison bank.

Rsb563

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Carquest Wearever platinum professional ceramics on my front and rear and they have been great so far. Low dust.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and Adaptive One pads. They've been awesome.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the Powerstop KOE2160 kit with rotors and ceramic pads. $92 from Amazon, also picked up a paddle style hand crank caliper tool that will make the process a little easier than using a C-clamp. Can't beat free 2-day shipping and a quick project for this weekend. Excited to get the garbage off the car and see how these work.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am running NAPA Ultra Premium Rotors and Adaptive One pads. No issues in 2 years.

Dave

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what's on the KJ, probably OE. I've got Akebono pads on my truck and have been great for about 50k. Still have the factory rotors with 168k. Of course it's a Ford. :gr_grin:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 on the napa ultra premium rotors and adaptive one pads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run centric or napa premium rotors with Black Magic pads,31,000 miles and the pads still have 10mm pad thickness(started at 10mm thick).I do go through rotors every 5k-6k miles but can't beat the stopping power(at 6400lbs no rotor lasts very long).At this rate I'll still be running the same pads 30-40 years from now.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Nakamoto rotors and semi-metallic pads, both front and rear. They have about 10k on them now, still holding up great.