Front brake caliper Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night i replaced my jeep's front brake caliper pistons. About 800km ago i replaced the sliding pins on the calipers becouse the dust seals was torn and resulted in the sliding pins seizing. The dust seals came with new sliding pins in a complete set from Crysler. (The pistons also came in complete set with dust seals and piston seal from Crysler. R167 each. Cheap, Dirt cheap...)

Now my problem is that after 800km (500miles) the bottom sliding pin with the rubber insert (wich i did grease when i assembled) refuses to move a inch. The top sliding pin without the rubber insert moves free.

Is this the way it is designed to work(i doubt) or do i buy two more top sliding pins to replace the bottom ones?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Would replace the lower ones also,or at least free them up.

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But thats the thing, it was replaced. With new ones! From the agents.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you use normal brake lube on the bottom slide pin or did you use silicone brake lube on it? the normal lube makes the rubber swell. even some that say "safe for use on rubber parts" will make them swell some as well.

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you use normal brake lube on the bottom slide pin or did you use silicone brake lube on it? the normal lube makes the rubber swell. even some that say "safe for use on rubber parts" will make them swell some as well.

I used the grease that came with the sliding pins.:freak3:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night i replaced my jeep's front brake caliper pistons. About 800km ago i replaced the sliding pins on the calipers becouse the dust seals was torn and resulted in the sliding pins seizing. The dust seals came with new sliding pins in a complete set from Crysler. (The pistons also came in complete set with dust seals and piston seal from Crysler. R167 each. Cheap, Dirt cheap...)

Now my problem is that after 800km (500miles) the bottom sliding pin with the rubber insert (wich i did grease when i assembled) refuses to move a inch. The top sliding pin without the rubber insert moves free.

Is this the way it is designed to work(i doubt) or do i buy two more top sliding pins to replace the bottom ones?

Hi Bulli,

Yes that is the way they are designed to work but the one with the rubber "seal" goes on the top not the bottom! It is a good tight squeeze to get the rubber sealed one in and out and they are a lot harder to manually slide in and out but that is the way they are. It is to do with a trailing edge and leading edge of the pads to make them wear evenly and not wear into a wedge shape. You won't have harmed anything and it is only a 10 minute job to swap them top to bottom. And yes use silicone grease on the pins. Hope that makes sense. Steve :smokin:

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left front brake clicking when braking at low speeds

I've have so many problems with my front brakes. Seems like I have to fix them every few months. One thing I learned is not to buy cheap pads. The backing plate came loose and jammed in the caliper.
Anyway, recently I kept hearing this clicking sound from the left front brake.
Only made the noise when I was braking at slows speeds, otherwise they worked fine. Finally got tired of the noise. Somewhere, someone said that I should replace the spring clips. So I bought new pads and a hardware kit.
Which included the clips, rubber boots, and the little rubber things that go on the upper slide pins. So I replaced everything. Cleaned up the rust where the clips go on with a wire wheel on a drill. Also cleaned up the pins good.
Put them all back together, making sure the pins were well greased, and moving freely. I won't know if the clicking sound is gone, until I drive it for a few days. Because I replaced the pads before, and the clicking sound came back after a few days.
But as I went to do the right brake, I noticed the old pad was worn uneven, like a wedge, as Steve mentioned...
I'm just hoping all is good this time, and the clicking sound is gone.
It was a constant clicking, not as I first hit the brakes.
I am so tired of fixing these brakes!
Oh, I once had a band new rotor crack, on another car. After only driving a mile or two. The work was done by a mechanic, so he replaced it the next day. I guess it was the cheap metal from China.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, if the thread is more than one year old, please don't reply and resurrect it.

Best to start your own, new thread on your topic and ask any questions or comments there. Feel free to link us back to the old thread for reference if you feel the need.