Front axle seals. Super stumped...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmboy530

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been around. Maybe a year + ago when I did my frankenlift. 07 liberty. So here goes. I had a busted cv so I changed both front axles. After taking all the bad advice I didn't worry about the seals. Now my front passenger is leaking pretty bad. I have had a hell of a time finding proper info on the seals so hopefully someone can chime in! First I thought inner and outer seals, that sounds normal. When I went to the dealer to get the seals they told me I had to remove BOTH axles AND the differential to replace the seals from the inside the pumpkin.....ok, so I went and bought a Chilton thinking it would break it down. All it talks about is the oil seal on the driver side which says you just pull it from the outside the pumpkin (not having to remove the differential). So, is the driver side on the outer and the passenger on the inner (access from inside the pumpkin) or am I missing something huge here? Also, the seal I got from MOPAR is larger then the one you can see on the driver side (from the outside of the differential). I just don't want to get it all the way broken down again (as its a lot of work) and not be able to fix the problem... PLEASE HELP!

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the driver's side and Midas did the passenger side. It was only one seal a piece and it was on the outside. I did not open pumpkin nor did Midas. It is a ***** to remove on driver's side and passenger side is harder since it is recessed. I am far from an expert so hopefully others will chime in.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are inner and outer axle seals 566066AA is the mopar number , and AB for the bearing behind the outter axle seals...i also have an 07 and they use a plastic bearing/bushing back there that id reccomend replacing with the crown 0566066AB metal bearing

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-drivers-side-axle-seal-replacement-45398/ heres a link for the drivers side outer axle seal....passenger side is basically the same.

i used a sealpuller/pick when i did the outer seal and bearing and it worked very well. something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ezSHKxZlZ3V2l5h6GA&01RI=43AB92B53EB6681&01NA=

i beleive the inner axle seals are the same part but id recommend looking up a part fiche on morris4x4 center or 4wd or something similar

farmboy530

Reaction score
Kris p. The driver outer is the only one I understand... maybe. Like I was saying, the dealer told me there is only one per side... also said I had to get it from inside the pumpkin. They showed me an expanded view and it only showed one seal but they looked inside the dif...

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no you remove and install from the outside , passenger is the same its just recessed a few inches , i used a seal puller/pick like the one mentioned above....the factory service manual calls for a special tool that is basically a slide hammer

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

there is the facotry service manual , instead of the special tool just use a seal puller , removed and installed from the outside.

farmboy530

Reaction score
I do understand what you're saying I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the dealer told me. I have the blown up diagram they gave me and I'll post it when I can get a pic of it. The diagram shows what the dealer said. Both seals are at the pumpkin and they are the only part listed as seals.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do understand what you're saying I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the dealer told me. I have the blown up diagram they gave me and I'll post it when I can get a pic of it. The diagram shows what the dealer said. Both seals are at the pumpkin and they are the only part listed as seals.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2006-KJ-SM.pdf

here starting at page 149 , only the outter axle seals driver and passenger side, no inner seals like a full length solid axle

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha now im confused too.... i coulndt find any part numbers or diagrams with inner front diff seals, ill look more later because now im curious

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha now im confused too.... i coulndt find any part numbers or diagrams with inner front diff seals, ill look more later because now im curious

Example: this parts diagram shows what you described:

https://www.4wd.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=141#22

But it's also wrong in the fact that it shows a male CV shaft where a female shaft should be (where the intermediate shaft is).

Then there's this diagram:

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com...t-suspension-cat/carrier-and-front-axles-****

Which seems to show only a passenger seal and the rubber bushing that you were talking about (not a bearing...?)

Then this one:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...2703&ukey_driveLine=9523&ukey_trimLevel=20297

Shows an inner and and outer? :Insane:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Example: this parts diagram shows what you described:

https://www.4wd.com/hardparts/HP_PartList.aspx?hpDID=141#22

But it's also wrong in the fact that it shows a male CV shaft where a female shaft should be (where the intermediate shaft is).

Then there's this diagram:

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com...t-suspension-cat/carrier-and-front-axles-****

Which seems to show only a passenger seal and the rubber bushing that you were talking about (not a bearing...?)

Then this one:

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com...2703&ukey_driveLine=9523&ukey_trimLevel=20297

Shows an inner and and outer? :Insane:

its a rubber bushing after 03 but can be replaced with the metal bearing...and what they show is the passenger and driver seals and bearings , they way they make the diagram seems like its an inner seal and bearing but its actualy representing the driver side. I got confused on that too at first

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both outer seals and the bearing/bushing right behind them are the same for both sides

The driver's side you can just take a thin chisel and lift up about 2 inches of the bottom of the seal lip and it'll pop right out, then you use a pilot bearing puller and a slide hammer to remove the bearing/bushing and reinstall with the correct sized installers

The pass side, S.O.P is to clean out from around the seal lip, then go straight for the bearing/bushing with the pilot bearing puller and the slide hammer and about 65% of the time you'll get the bearing, and the seal

The other 35% of the time you just get the bearing heh

When that happens you walk away and come back less frustrated

I've taken a flat steel bar and put the edge across the rounded lip of the seal and creased it, then used what amounted to a paint can opener shaped seal tool i ground from a broken prybar to leverage the seal up, once it's creased it'll give

Similar applications with heavily flanged ifs diffs it's not uncommon to drill a hole for getting a chisel in to peel the seals. Especially with seized in seals, which 150kmi+ and 10+ years they usually are, seal pry tools tend to be ineffective, usually if they'll come out with the pry tool they would have came out when ya pulled the bearing. But generally speaking, if the bearing comes out and leaves the seal in, youre no better or worse off, just means it might require some finesse

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's also a seal puller attachment for the slide hammer that's shaped kind of like a dog tag that's been known to alleviate a few headaches if you can find the correct size, i want to say the kj seal puller dog tag is between 15/16ths and 1 1/4

Last edited:

farmboy530

Reaction score
I'm only at 80,000 miles and was going to skip the bearings as they seem fine. I just wanted to get the seals to stop dripping. Is that a horrible idea? And is it settled? Outer seals only but the mopar diagram makes it look like inner seals?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm only at 80,000 miles and was going to skip the bearings as they seem fine. I just wanted to get the seals to stop dripping. Is that a horrible idea? And is it settled? Outer seals only but the mopar diagram makes it look like inner seals?

yep the diagrams is just showing both passenger and driver seals/bearings, and not a horrible idea no. Also you are at the step of removing the bearing once you remove the seal, and mine went at 92k miles

farmboy530

Reaction score
For some reason I was not getting updates on this thread and kinda forgot about it so here is the update (A little late but might help someone). I damaged my seal so bad I had to make a tool to get it out...but I finally did. I took 2 5/8 nuts and welded an 8" piece of 1/4" round stock across them. I heated and bent the stock to a point, then a hook (picture a large version of a dentist pick only not sharp). I case hardened the end and threaded the whole thing on a slide hammer. Worked it around the edge of the seal popping it all the way around until it flew across the shop. Long story short get a slide hammer and seal puller to start and you should be fine. Only outer seals to worry about. Tap the new ones in, seat the axle and slap the rest back together. Thank you all for the help!

Last edited:

Members online