Front axle nut wont go back on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monica

Reaction score
I just replaced the lower front ball joint and now the axle nut will not go back on. I've had it rethreaded and the axle rod rethreaded and I still cant get it to go back on. Any suggestions?

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As in the big nut on the end of the CV shaft?

If you have had the threads cleaned up already then it should spin on easily enough. No trick to it or anything that I remember.

Most replace CV's when they have them off, makes sense unless they are still really new from recent replacement. If you are re-using your CV's and maybe were less than careful I could see the end of the threads easily getting smashed/deformed making it hard to get the nut back on. The thread pitch is large enough you should be able to see any defects in the thread and be able to file it off some to clean it up.

Maybe take some pics of the offending parts? We may see something you are not noticing.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the nut described above, it is a locknut. It will only thread on about halfway before there is resistance. Put the brake rotor and caliper mounting bracket on, then slip a large screwdriver into the rotor vent bracing against the bracket so you can spin the nut on. If you had someone recut the threads in the nut, I would strongly consider replacing it. Those nuts are only supposed to be used once as it is.

Latest posts

Members online