Front axels maxed out on JBA 3.5" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I dropped off my 2012 KK at the dealer to have the front axel checkd.
heard banging kinda like a flat tire @ 60-70 mph. dealer says the front axels are at there max with the lift in the front. now what ? does this mean that the axels are going to go out all the time if they are replaced??

On a good note my guy at the dealership says they will take care of it under my warranty :) :waytogo:. I got 7k miles left on the factory warranty.

So my question is do I need to remove the top plate spacer or clevis spacer to prevent the axels from going bad or is there something else I can do ??

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks-Wulf

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the hub to flare measurements are the same from a KJ to a KK but can you post your before and after measurements?

Mr. Mudd runs standard CV axles on his and it's lifted up to around 23" or so and he has no problems - and I'm just a little bit shorter than him at 22.25" and my CV's have been fine. I question the conclusion the service guy came to - if anything the intermediate shaft may be the problem rather than the CV axle on the passenger side. If it moves on the diff side then the issue is with the shaft most likely.

Anyway, post the measurements if you have them and hopefully we can get some answers to you.

Tom, wanna weigh in?

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda just thought of this, but if it has to do with speed, could it maybe be stress on the KK driveshaft? If it's not the same design as a KJ, perhaps it can get stressed much more easily with height addition? Just a really REALLY random guess.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For clarity, you lost both CV axles? at the same time?

Before the problems, do the cv's rumble or change in pitch when you turn hard?

If you have the room to clear your tires and you still wish to drop it down some, i would yank the clevis lift and leave the top plate.

at angles consistent with 4.5 inches of lift, my KJ pre alignment post lift install at 23.5, i got a rumble but it went away after alignment dropped things to 22ish where cv noise disappeared. It probably disappeared at 23 but i'd never know.

In all likely hood if your sub 3.5 inches of lift they are not maxed, and at 68 bucks or whatever napa charges for a reman, i wouldn't loose sleep over it for when your off warranty.

If you do drop the front more, dont' forget your alignment.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the hub to flare measurements are the same from a KJ to a KK but can you post your before and after measurements?

Mr. Mudd runs standard CV axles on his and it's lifted up to around 23" or so and he has no problems - and I'm just a little bit shorter than him at 22.25" and my CV's have been fine. I question the conclusion the service guy came to - if anything the intermediate shaft may be the problem rather than the CV axle on the passenger side. If it moves on the diff side then the issue is with the shaft most likely.

Anyway, post the measurements if you have them and hopefully we can get some answers to you.

Tom, wanna weigh in?

Bob

I believe the front is at 23" and the rear is at 25".
Just to clarify it's not the CV's it is the housing the axels go in to before the diff. the passenger side I can move up and down fairly easy and the left has a little play. I don't believe the axels are maxed like the service guy said I think they got bent when I hit a rock I did not see a month or so ago when wheel'n in Big Bear with the lost Jeep crew and ripped out the sensors, the sensors were replaced. the are replacing the front axels I was told. all under warranty down side is they put me in a Nissan Versa WTF!!! im in a go cart driving around town I feel like im gonna get rund over lol

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For clarity, you lost both CV axles? at the same time?

Before the problems, do the cv's rumble or change in pitch when you turn hard?

If you have the room to clear your tires and you still wish to drop it down some, i would yank the clevis lift and leave the top plate.

at angles consistent with 4.5 inches of lift, my KJ pre alignment post lift install at 23.5, i got a rumble but it went away after alignment dropped things to 22ish where cv noise disappeared. It probably disappeared at 23 but i'd never know.

In all likely hood if your sub 3.5 inches of lift they are not maxed, and at 68 bucks or whatever napa charges for a reman, i wouldn't loose sleep over it for when your off warranty.

If you do drop the front more, dont' forget your alignment.

7k left my warranty but I got an extended warranty w/ 100.00 deductible so Im covered and the dealer is an AEV dealer and saw the lifted KK a few months back don't believe it's the cause they say.
thanks all for the input

KKinAZ

Reaction score
Here is what I noticed on mine with a 2.5" JBA

Stock
You must be registered for see images

After lift

Full droop(both front wheels off the ground)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Tom, wanna weigh in?

Bob
I might reading up now :manos:
For reference KKs come in at about 18 stock in front

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the front is at 23" and the rear is at 25".
Just to clarify it's not the CV's it is the housing the axels go in to before the diff. the passenger side I can move up and down fairly easy and the left has a little play. I don't believe the axels are maxed like the service guy said I think they got bent when I hit a rock I did not see a month or so ago when wheel'n in Big Bear with the lost Jeep crew and ripped out the sensors, the sensors were replaced. the are replacing the front axels I was told. all under warranty down side is they put me in a Nissan Versa WTF!!! im in a go cart driving around town I feel like im gonna get rund over lol
If they got bent which is highly unlikely ( although I have seen a couple) then there should be a pretty good vibration for sure.
Not sure what you mean by the housing the axles go in before the diff.
When are you suppose to have them replaced, will be waiting to here what its like then

Wait, you're at 23 in front , should be about 21.5-22 from my calculations or what I thought. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course some difference in the KK/KJ front suspension diffs etc but mine sitting still looks like this
You must be registered for see images attach

KKinAZ

Reaction score
my measurements were...

Before...17.750" front, 19.000" rear

after...21.000" front, 22.000" rear

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
my measurements were...

Before...17.750" front, 19.000" rear

after...21.000" front, 22.000" rear
So you actually have like 3 inches of lift from new stock
unless the height for brand new that I have is wrong:sad72:

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they got bent which is highly unlikely ( although I have seen a couple) then there should be a pretty good vibration for sure.
Not sure what you mean by the housing the axles go in before the diff.
When are you suppose to have them replaced, will be waiting to here what its like then

Wait, you're at 23 in front , should be about 21.5-22 from my calculations or what I thought. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Tom- it was dark when I did the measurements and did not have my old man glasses lol it looked like 23 on the measuring tape and I think it was 25 or close to that on the rear. I will double chk this and post it up later on.
I just picked her up from the dealership. it was the right side cv and axel near the diff was binding. I have not been able to go for a real test drive yet but will let ya'll know how it is. By the way Bob Baker Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep did it under warranty and gave me a go kart to drive ( Nissan Versa) :happy175:

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stock

After lift

QUOTE]

Tomm The housing I was referring to & forgive my lack knowledge on the correct description. is the cylinder the axel is going into on the engine side opposite the wheel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Stock

After lift

QUOTE]

Tomm The housing I was referring to & forgive my lack knowledge on the correct description. is the cylinder the axel is going into on the engine side opposite the wheel.

Aha got ya now, yes the CV on that end was real bad then.
Well when you get the old man glasses on again let us know, plus how its doing other wise.
Me I have to remove my glasses to do anything, except drive ha ha
Tom

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aha got ya now, yes the CV on that end was real bad then.
Well when you get the old man glasses on again let us know, plus how its doing other wise.
Me I have to remove my glasses to do anything, except drive ha ha
Tom

Its doing great I luv the look and the attention it gets. Besides the bad axel/CV I luv it. finally got the wheels and tires figured out as well I will post some new pics and measurements later
Thanks Tom

Edited: I got a new right side axel and CV installed from Dealership my cost $0.00 ( Warranty :) !!!!)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Stock

After lift

Full droop(both front wheels off the ground)

Always makes me laugh when some tech or other know-it-all says that my CV's are stressed thanks to the lift. But looking at the first two pictures above you can see that pre-lift the CV's are at an angle going UP. And post-lift the CV's are at the same angle...but going DOWN. The CV's don't know whether they're angled up or down - it's all the same to them.

Shoot, I've seen CV axles on sagged out KJ's that are at more severe angles than my lifted ones are :happy175::happy175:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
yes we did one here that the poor 06 KJ was sitting 2 inches below new stock height , they were almost pointing straight up. So after we lifted it our normal amount and it was raised over 5.75 inches it actually looked about the same only in reverse :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao: