From Factory to Aftermarket Wheel Baskspacing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
My cousin just bought a 2005 WK and is wanting to do some black steelies. He found some on ebay for a decent price but they are 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing. His stock wheels are 17x7.5 with 6.25" backspacing. So whats going to be the difference in these wheels? He's also wanting to do 1.5" wheels spacers, will the new wheels be close enough to the factory wheel that the spacers are still needed to set the tires out a little?

BIRDMAN

Reaction score
the aftermarket wheels would stick out about 2.5" more than the stock wheels. plus, the section width of the tires would be about 6/10ths wider because of the wider wheel. That's way too far out and wheel spacers would only make it worse.

Otter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the stock wheels 17 x 7.5 have the 6.25 backspace, the 17 x 9 have the 4.5 backspace. they're gonna stick out, not be too deep.

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Reaction score
the stock wheels 17 x 7.5 have the 6.25 backspace, the 17 x 9 have the 4.5 backspace. they're gonna stick out, not be too deep.

correct. even with all things being equal rim width wise, the less back space means more "front space" i.e. sticking out. the fact that the new wheel is wider only adds to that fact. i believe Tom was confused as to what you were asking.