Frankenlift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago I installed the Frankenlift 2.5 inch lift on my 2002. Not long after I installed an ARB front bumper with a winch. I noticed it squatting so I had my local mechanic install OME 790 and it seemed to temporarily solve the sag.

I was under the Jeep the other day and saw what looked like the upper isolators had split and cracked on both the left and right struts.

Questions:

1. Has this happened to anyone else and what might be the cause?

2. Does Frankenlift use the stock upper isolators?

3. If not.....does anyone know what they are and where I can get them?

Thanks for any help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Several years ago I installed the Frankenlift 2.5 inch lift on my 2002. Not long after I installed an ARB front bumper with a winch. I noticed it squatting so I had my local mechanic install OME 790 and it seemed to temporarily solve the sag.

I was under the Jeep the other day and saw what looked like the upper isolators had split and cracked on both the left and right struts.

Questions:

1. Has this happened to anyone else and what might be the cause?
Happens to some due to age etc

2. Does Frankenlift use the stock upper isolators?
YES it does of course

3. If not.....does anyone know what they are and where I can get them?
Just get stock ones

Thanks for any help

Happened due to several reasons, age, deterioration, hard shock of springs etc

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be worth it to get the Daystar leveling isolators since I have the extra weight in the front or maybe spacer plates?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be worth it to get the Daystar leveling isolators since I have the extra weight in the front or maybe spacer plates?

No to the spacers, never
If you think it has sagged that much then its time for new springs and shocks

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What problems do the spacers cause?
The coil springs probably have only 2000 miles on them. I'm currently sitting at about 21.5 from center hub to fender on both sides. Do have any other suggestions?

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What problems do the spacers cause?
The coil springs probably have only 2000 miles on them. I'm currently sitting at about 21.5 from center hub to fender on both sides. Do have any other suggestions?

Thanks

So you are still at 21.5 inches , that is 2.5 inches over new stock height
OF course Frankenlifts provide over 4 when new and settle in at 3.5 or so usually .
Spacers cause all kinds of issues , plus the frankenlift already has a spacer in the lower parts, then given the fact you are at 2.5 , a spacer lift would lift you up too much and would only be a lawn ornament

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.....I just saw that the JBA 1/4 inch plate provided about a half inch of lift and didn't think that would be too much. I'm kind of disappointed in the 790 springs if they sank that much after so few miles. I guess I should stick to the original plan and replace the cracked isolators and see if that helps.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok.....I just saw that the JBA 1/4 inch plate provided about a half inch of lift and didn't think that would be too much. I'm kind of disappointed in the 790 springs if they sank that much after so few miles. I guess I should stick to the original plan and replace the cracked isolators and see if that helps.

Mixing of parts, Frankenlifts have a spacer lift built into them from the get go

Now you are changing here , difference in a spacer lift and a JBA top plate , you can add the top plate with no issues , but with cracked iso, and needing to tear it apart anyways , well........
As far as how long springs last , I've ran 927s for 100,000 miles and lost under 1/2 inch , then sold them to be installed on a friends KJ.
So how many years ?

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry.....I wasn't clear....I was talking about the JBA plate. The springs are about 7 years old. I rarely drive it on the road......just off road but nothing crazy....no rocks or anything..... mostly mud and old logging trails.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry.....I wasn't clear....I was talking about the JBA plate. The springs are about 7 years old. I rarely drive it on the road......just off road but nothing crazy....no rocks or anything..... mostly mud and old logging trails.

But you still have had half of a 4000+lb vehicle sitting on them for 7 years... even regular city roads cause a lot of articulation and compression/rebound on a spring, and that takes its toll.

sydbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess. Just expected that they wouldn't sag over an inch practically sitting still. It is what it is I suppose. I'm not going to bother buying new springs..... just going to get the iso and plates. For the amount I drive it....it's not worth the money for springs....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess. Just expected that they wouldn't sag over an inch practically sitting still. It is what it is I suppose. I'm not going to bother buying new springs..... just going to get the iso and plates. For the amount I drive it....it's not worth the money for springs....

Depends on how you look at it, installing a top plate will get you back up 1/2 inch
but then with springs sagged you will not have as good of a ride and less travel
so in the end its worth it IMO , but it's yours so have fun