Frankenlift II vs Tommudd econo-lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlongOpenRoads

Reaction score
Hey there,
I've decided to join the lifted KJ family and can't wait to get some real mud in, on, and under this gal's Jeep. Obviously everyone loves the Frankenlift II because of the OME setup but a fairly new kit is out by a trusted member on here and I want a review! It's so new that very few people have commented on the ride, reliability, and longevity (how long before it sags) of it.

Frankenlift II gives a reported 2.5" lift once settled. The Tommudd Econo lift is said to give 3.5". Has anyone given the new kit a try? Did you need to shave your cvs down? What else did you install that isn't included in the kit? Can I just do a franky and then somehow get another inch out of it safely?

In such a dilemma over what to do so any advice/feedback/opinions would be awesome :)

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Frankelift II 2.5" lift and 32" tires and logged more offroad miles on actual terrain in my KJ than anyone who will respond to this thread. Everything else was stock... no red powder coated anything, no shaved anything and no extra conduit anythings so I can look super cool at the mall.

OME has an excellent reputation world wide, I also use OME in my 4Runner D.A.V.e.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there,
I've decided to join the lifted KJ family and can't wait to get some real mud in, on, and under this gal's Jeep. Obviously everyone loves the Frankenlift II because of the OME setup but a fairly new kit is out by a trusted member on here and I want a review! It's so new that very few people have commented on the ride, reliability, and longevity (how long before it sags) of it.

Frankenlift II gives a reported 2.5" lift once settled. The Tommudd Econo lift is said to give 3.5". Has anyone given the new kit a try? Did you need to shave your cvs down? What else did you install that isn't included in the kit? Can I just do a franky and then somehow get another inch out of it safely?

In such a dilemma over what to do so any advice/feedback/opinions would be awesome :)

Some true facts
Frankenlift nets you over 2.5 inches at the time of installation on a gasser
it comes preassembled so no compressing springs etc
for 1117.99 its a good deal for sure
Now the other kit mentioned is a combination of parts that work well together and save you money plus comes with the UCAs which are proven to help in alignment and also will have no spring contact. By the way you can get spring contact with the Frankenlift, this from experience.
You do not HAVE to cut your CVs or buy them, yes as with any up grade it does help BUT you do not need to at 3.5 inches , one of the reasons thats where this kit is at
NOW some may claim to be the King of the desert and all things off road, but in the end they don't have the experience with as many different setups as others do . They used the KJ and sent it on its way worn and broken only to switch to a ............Toyota. They also had a CRD so the lift was not as high as a gasser and could get away with more without spring contact etc.
In the end go with what sounds good to you. We can only suggest what we think works best from the experience we have first hand

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This is very true Cherrie
could be why at current time I am running the OME 790 CRD springs, mixed with Frankenlift gasser parts and Rancho RSX 17505 shocks that we used to use,
rear gets even more different :rocking:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very true Cherrie
could be why at current time I am running the OME 790 CRD springs, mixed with Frankenlift gasser parts and Rancho RSX 17505 shocks that we used to use,
rear gets even more different :rocking:

Only JBA 4" springs unless you did another change up on us :hmm:

AlongOpenRoads

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I understand that everyone sings the praises of the ome setup, I suppose I just wanted a similar write-up of the econo lift as well. Details regarding safety, reliability, and ride quality were my main concerns on this "new" lift. I'd love a good quality 3.5" lift but want to maintain a decent ride without putting too much strain on the Jeep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I understand that everyone sings the praises of the ome setup, I suppose I just wanted a similar write-up of the econo lift as well. Details regarding safety, reliability, and ride quality were my main concerns on this "new" lift. I'd love a good quality 3.5" lift but want to maintain a decent ride without putting too much strain on the Jeep.

I ran the first set of Ironman springs to be in the US, they ride every bit as good as OME and possibly a little better. Its not a harsh/rough ride very smooth and controlled , good handling overall
I had the lift in front set up very much like the Econo is now being sold as. I tried running the rear Ironman springs but needed extra iso's etc to get the height. Reason for going to the 4 inch JBA springs is to do away with the iso's and extras. I am running the 4 inch rears on mine currently.
The Ironman I had I installed on another KJ in Indiana and is on long term testing. He likes the ride a lot, had OMEs before and he agrees that it rides better than before.
The Econo lift has only been out for a short time although the various parts by them selves a little longer. I don't think you'll be at all unhappy with the lift overall. I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was a good combination of parts. Break in will take a few weeks but will break in sooner than the Frankenlift.
I've installed various combinations of OME/Ironman/Frankenlift etc and the Econo is right up there with them
Hope this helps some in your quest for a lift

AlongOpenRoads

Reaction score
Always changing and trying out new parts :Insane:
at least none of my suspension gets rusty

Haha very true! Lucky for some to be able to do that. Thanks so much for the breakdown and comments! Time to consult the finances and get cracking on the Jeep ;)

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the Tommudd econo lift. The ride is awesome. I've never used the Frankelift to personaly compare it to though so I doubt that is of much help.

The only thing I'd recommend that doesn't come with the JBA kit are front and rear bumpstops. Everything else is in the kit. The ride quality is great. A huge improvement over what it was stock.

Last edited:

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running the Tommudd econo lift. The ride is awesome. I've never used the Frankelift to personaly compare it to though so I doubt that is of much help.

The only thing I'd recommend that doesn't come with the JBA kit are front and rear bumpstops. Everything else is in the kit. The ride quality is great. A huge improvement over what it was stock.

Pics or it isn't lifted! :D

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have many pictures just because I can't stand how it looks right now with the factory tires/wheels lifted but that will be changed next week.

Also the pics I do have are from my crappy cell phone so probably not the best representation of the lift.

The first pick was the night the install was complete (the camber etc is way off you can tell from looking at the tires).

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

greene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received most of the parts for my JBA- Econo lift. Still waiting on struts and springs.
What size tires are you going with?
I was thinking of 285/75R16 or 265/75R16. I know with the 285, I will have to do some trimming.
I also plan on re-gear it to 4.88 or 4.56 with a Aussie Locker XD-58229depends on what tires I go with.

P.S.
My Libby is 2wd.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received most of the parts for my JBA- Econo lift. Still waiting on struts and springs.
What size tires are you going with?
I was thinking of 285/75R16 or 265/75R16. I know with the 285, I will have to do some trimming.
I also plan on re-gear it to 4.88 or 4.56 with a Aussie Locker XD-58229depends on what tires I go with.

P.S.
My Libby is 2wd.

The 285s will definitely not fit. The 265s will but with lots of trimming.

Latest posts

Members online