Frame Reinforcement for Hitch Receiver/Rear Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apex

Reaction score
I broke my hitch bolts taking them off this past weekend, stealership cross-threaded 2 of 4. I put my thinking cap on and came up with this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I started by welding some 4x4x.25” angle iron onto each side of the hitch receiver, then knocking the factory hitch nuts out and retrieving them with a magnet from inside the frame rails. Next I drilled the holes all the way up through the floorboard, and fabricated the crush plates using 3/16” thick steel. I used self tapping screws to cinch the crush plates to the upper side of the frame rails. Four 5/8x6” bolts are in place of the puny factory ones, and I plan on adding a few more horizontally into the bumper frame with DOM crush sleeves.

Apex

Reaction score
Grade 5 for now, have 8s on order. Those self tappers are the ones we use to build the big metal buildings and such, but I did use plenty on each side.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Grade 5 for now, have 8s on order. Those self tappers are the ones we use to build the big metal buildings and such, but I did use plenty on each side.

Great to see you are going to use Grade 8s, also plenty of LocTite

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to hitch load and pulling a trailer, safety makes sense.
When you decide to fabricate or make changes to the structure, it may not be as strong as expected.
I would recommend having this modification inspected by a commercial hitch shop.

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Safety always makes sense, and that’s a good idea TC. I’ll get it checked over.

Latest posts

Members online