Found some SERIOUS hidden crud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to replace the windshield in the KJ today, old one decided it wanted to split.
Pulled the cowl panel and found the usual pine needles and maple seed mess. Then pulled the trim off both sides of the glass. WOW! there was dirt and crap under there that looked like it would be a problem.
The good thing? It only takes a few minutes to pull this trim and clean under it.
Simply remove the seal from the door opening, then you will find about 7 screws, take them out and the trim just lifts off on the bottom, on top is a type of velcro. Then clean all the built up dirt and when you put the trim back on it wouldn't hurt to apply a bit of sealer to each screw to help keep the rust away.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which seal? which door?

Had to replace the windshield in the KJ today, old one decided it wanted to split.
Pulled the cowl panel and found the usual pine needles and maple seed mess. Then pulled the trim off both sides of the glass. WOW! there was dirt and crap under there that looked like it would be a problem.
The good thing? It only takes a few minutes to pull this trim and clean under it.
Simply remove the seal from the door opening, then you will find about 7 screws, take them out and the trim just lifts off on the bottom, on top is a type of velcro. Then clean all the built up dirt and when you put the trim back on it wouldn't hurt to apply a bit of sealer to each screw to help keep the rust away.

I highlighted a few key words to guide you to the correct area on the KJ. ;) Here's a hint - the front doors border the area around the glass that he's talking about (just giving you a hard time)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Yes, it gets down right nasty underneath that black plastic trim!
After I removed mine to drill holes for my forward mounted roof rack/light bar, I
soaked the entire area with WD40 and when I wash the Heep I spray hot water
under the trim to clean out the accumulated dirt and crap.
I then blow compressed air to blow away as much water as possible and dry it out.
Then spray a liberal amount of WD40 under it again so the next time the crud washes
away easier.

Attachments

• July 27 2010 Roof Rack 093.jpg
    July 27 2010 Roof Rack 093.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60
  • July 27 2010 Roof Rack 094.jpg
    July 27 2010 Roof Rack 094.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 335

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it funny how many "pretend" to be **** about detailing a vehicle and then never clean areas like that. Bet lots never remove the spare tire bracket and clean/wax under it either. :shrug:
Mine gets a complete teardown every 3 to 4 months for a complete cleaning / detailing / waxing
That area is also good for hiding wires running from roof lights, no drilling

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I find it funny how many "pretend" to be **** about detailing a vehicle and then never clean areas like that. Bet lots never remove the spare tire bracket and clean/wax under it either. :shrug:
Mine gets a complete teardown every 3 to 4 months for a complete cleaning / detailing / waxing
That area is also good for hiding wires running from roof lights, no drilling

Wax?

Nah, I'm to lazy to do that!

I'll ask Tim to wax our KJ in exchange for another good home cooked meal!:D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Never Wax!

Here I was pulling into Ryan's driveway last night with my hand washed spotless KJ, having to walk beside Ryan's mud soaked KJ.
I said to Jen, what happened..you drove across the bog to get home or what?
I think there was some green moss around the wells.
I exclaimed to Ryan that I am quite impressed with the Kj's paint job as it stands up quite well, and considering the lack of cleaning, or wax, your rig still is in good shape.
Once the nasty cool wet weather is gone, I am sure we will detail your KJ Ryan.
He has a buffer, something I don't have. Food, Wax, and Beer ahead!:party52:

Latest posts

Members online