For Sale Forum

Discussion in 'Site Comments & Feedback' started by Clyde Frog, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Clyde Frog

Clyde Frog Full Access Member

Is there anyway to set a minimum post amount for the For Sale section (or maybe even the entire Marketplace category) of the forum?

There is currently a post in there with an item for sale which is the user's first post. In the past I've seen members with 5 posts and the other four before their For Sale post consisted of one to two words posts.

I would just hate to see a real member get screwed by someone like this or even anybody else who finds the post through a Google search and emails the individual. Both scenarios have happened before.

I know this has been brought up before but :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. HoosierJeeper

HoosierJeeper Gold Supporter/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Maybe up-ing it to 15 posts, so it would be a bit more....awkward to do one word posts?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Member Staff Member Administrator

I thought I had it setup to where members can not post a new thread in the for sale section unless they have 50 posts and are registered for over 5 days. I will have to see the setup again. Thanks for the heads up.

4. long_tall_texan

long_tall_texan Full Access Member

I personally disagree wit the min post rules. I have pointed many local Liberty owners or ex-Liberty owners to this site to sell left-over accessories. My purpose was always to help users on this site get some good deals. Just guessing that the post that was in the for sale forum was from someone in the DFW area with some seat covers, tires cover, and some other stuff. I actually pointed them here to sell. Oh well, if someone want a good deal on seat covers, check DFW craigslist.

5. Lima.Charlie

Lima.Charlie Full Access Member

I don't think a minimum post requirement is a good idea.

6. Jo6pak

Jo6pak Full Access Member

Most forums seem to have a minimum post rule for the "For Sale" sections.

I do understand the reasons for it, but as long as the posts are related to KJs I dont's see an issue.

Now, if the site becomes a classified section for every asshat with a pile of beanine babies, then that's another set of problems.:shrug:

7. ridenby

ridenby Gold Supporter

I agree,Buyer beware is a mantra for interwebby deals anywhere,anytime.

8. Shaggy

If there wasn't a minimum post count, it would turn into a classified forum.

9. simond

simond Full Access Member

so what's up now ? trying to put an ad in the sale section but nut able to ....

10. Shaggy

You need to have been registered for 5 days or more and have over 50 posts to post a new thread in the for sale section.

11. simond

simond Full Access Member

Alright! Thank's.

12. silver 07 ready for mud

silver 07 ready for mud New Member

Luckily for me, I'll still be in the buying phase for my jeep for a while, might have to get more chatty to get 50 posts though. Every time i'm wondering something about my KJ I can find the answer really quick just using the search

13. mmc757

mmc757 Full Access Member

The 50 post rule is silly for a WTB thread, or for responding to a FS thread. Often, its a need for help or parts that leads people to these forums in the first place, and joining only to discover that you cant ask for what you need is pretty annoying.
    Nobody wants a bunch of a55holes posting FS threads that arent appropriate but prospective buyers should have a little more flexibility.

A rule I have seen work very well elsewhere is that sellers are required to post a photo of the item for sale along with a sign of some sort with their username and date in the photo.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  14. joeaub

joeaub New Member

wow, 50 posts is alot. I have been a lurker here for over a year. I sell many items on ebay but would like to avoid their high fees. I have a few Liberty items I would like to sell but 50 posts would take me a while.
    I can understand for sure that the Seller should have to be a member for at least a week or 2 and must introduce themselves in the intro section, and have a minimum number of posts, say for example, 5-10 but 50 is pretty high.

It will definitely discourage the fly by nighters looking to sell their snake oil and disappear, BUT it may also chase away legitimate people looking to sell some items.

15. JJam2112

JJam2112 Member

Yeah I have things I want to buy but I can even comment on the stuff for sell because of the limits.