floor jacking and standing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent put the liberty up in the air with a floor jack and stands yet. i am used to using the pumpkin on my axles, then using the stands on the axle.

is this acceptable, or should I be looking at alternative routes with the liberty? i am not that familiar with the liberty and the frame rails, etc. so the more info the better until i get myself comfortable.

thanks!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's okay for the rear, but not the front. For the front you can use you skid plate, crossmember or control arm. There is a notch on the "frame" behind the front tires where you but the jack stands. Hope this helps.

Jeep dawg

Reaction score
Man if you put the stands under your front axel, you will do alot of damage.

Actually, I do not think you can get a stand under the front axel too much stuff in the way

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man if you put the stands under your front axel, you will do alot of damage.

Actually, I do not think you can get a stand under the front axel too much stuff in the way

how will it damage the axle? I had it up this weekend. I jacked from the side frame jack point, then got stands on the fron axle. The rear axle would be easy to hit, the front took a little work but I got both stands on solid axle points.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how will it damage the axle? I had it up this weekend. I jacked from the side frame jack point, then got stands on the fron axle. The rear axle would be easy to hit, the front took a little work but I got both stands on solid axle points.
OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Never,never,never,and I mean never(get the point?) jack or support the KJ from the front diff,it is aluminum and a IFS setup so the front diff is not made,or intended to support any weight.The passenger side mini-axle tube is screwed in,not a very strong point.Lift the front of the KJ by the front or rear cradle crossmember or the LCA's,you can also use the "frame" slots to also but those make a better jack stand place.

You got very lucky that you did not break the front diff by supporting the weight of the KJ on it,though you may have damaged it but not visible or noticeable yet.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt use the diff, I used the frame slots to jack, the axle cant be that weak?? I first started jacking it up from the crossmember, but didnt like that. I then used the LCA as a jack point but because it is so close to the tire I wasnt happy with my floor jack going up right there.

next time I will use the stands on the frame slot, but I cannot imagine the axle is that weak, thanks for the heads up. I will go for stands on the frame slot and find another jack point.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt use the diff, I used the frame slots to jack, the axle cant be that weak?? I first started jacking it up from the crossmember, but didnt like that. I then used the LCA as a jack point but because it is so close to the tire I wasnt happy with my floor jack going up right there.

next time I will use the stands on the frame slot, but I cannot imagine the axle is that weak, thanks for the heads up. I will go for stands on the frame slot and find another jack point.
The front diff is that weak,it is not a structural member so it is not designed to bear any weight like a soild axle(like the rear axle in the KJ),that's why the need for the front skid plate,to protect the diff from taking any dirrect hits from anything.I jack my front end up all the time from the LCA's,my jack is just right for it,and have jacked many KJ's by the same method,it's the fastest way to get it in the air also.

Just picture the front diff as a chicken egg,strong in one aspect,but very weak in other aspects.One of the weak aspects is it is not designed to support the KJ's weight.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so even though I am not touching the diff with my jack, which didnt look strong at all, the point where the axle enters the diff is that bad?

the floor jack just seemed so tight up against me tire when using the LCA I didnt like it. I will try another angle for the LCA so I can get the stands on the frame slot.

not being able to lift from diff is throwing me for a loop, or solid axle, or one piece frame

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so even though I am not touching the diff with my jack, which didnt look strong at all, the point where the axle enters the diff is that bad?

the floor jack just seemed so tight up against me tire when using the LCA I didnt like it. I will try another angle for the LCA so I can get the stands on the frame slot.

not being able to lift from diff is throwing me for a loop, or solid axle, or one piece frame
Ain't it a b$tch?

Welcome to IFS,another reason I'm doing a SFA swap.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 floor jacks. A bigger one and a small one. Neither one will even fit under my car as it is too low. Both will fit under the KJ but the small one won't go high enough to get the tire off the ground. What a PIA.

I always use the jacking points like tjkj said to be safe and my big floor jack if I need to get a wheel/tire off the ground.

Also, I used to have a set of those steel ramps and they were a POS so I got rid of them and made my own ramps out of 2x12 lumber. It is real easy and they are real sturdy. The only downside is that they are heavy.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant even touch my front axle with a jack. Not to sure how that was being done.

I use the LCA and the rear of the front skid plate(aka, cross memeber) for lifting and use the frame slots for the jack stands. :)

Latest posts

Members online