Flat Towing Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried this in the FAQ Forum. No response. Maybe here.
I would like to know what I need to Flat Tow my YJ with my KJ.
My KJ has the towing package and is rated for 5000 lbs. I have already towed the YJ on a trailer/ but thought if I could skip the trailer I might save some weight and it would tow easier.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously a tow bar for the YJ. I would disconnect the driveline, if that's possible. Should be all you need to do. Oh, make sure it's in 2-Hi, also.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes? You cannot use the brakes when you flat tow.

All you need to do is put the tcase in N on the yj and the ****** in P. Do not take the driveline out. :)

crazy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to flat tow my Toyota trail rig all the time. I wouldn't do it with anything less than a full size, when those vehicles are behind you they have a tendecy to push more in turns than a trailer does. With a vehicle as light as the Lib it'd push you right around. E-z with a full size wouldn't attempt it with my Liberty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to flat tow my Toyota trail rig all the time. I wouldn't do it with anything less than a full size, when those vehicles are behind you they have a tendecy to push more in turns than a trailer does. With a vehicle as light as the Lib it'd push you right around. E-z with a full size wouldn't attempt it with my Liberty.

The liberty is not light. :rolleyes:

crazy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The liberty is not light. :rolleyes:

Flat tow a Wrangler and you'll see just how light it is. On a trailer there is weight on the drive tires with a flat tow no more weight than usual pushing down just more weight pushing around. Even with a full size it can get a little hairy.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I understood you right, you have a trailer. I am guessing that the trailer has brakes as it should. It would be safer to put the YJ on the trailer and tow it. Even though your overall weight would be heavier due to the trailer weight, you have trailer brakes which make a LOT of difference. You will still be getting close to the 5000 pound tow rating but the KJ will tow it. Just take it easy and drive accordingly and you should be ok. I routinely tow 4000 pounds with no problems with trailer brakes.

That said I'm sure a full size P/U equipped for towing would work better, but I don't have one and it sounds like you don't either.

The KJ is a tough little tow vehicle, properly equipped. You just have to go easy with the SWB and you'll be fine. Keep O/D locked out.

Dave

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes? You cannot use the brakes when you flat tow.

All you need to do is put the tcase in N on the yj and the ****** in P. Do not take the driveline out. :)

You can use brakes on flat tow vehicle, it’s called a breakbuddy. It senses the towing vehicle breaking by using ventricle forces and applies the breaks on the flat towed vehicle. It actually works. My parents have one for the Chevy Malibu they flat tow.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you know where I can pick up a tow buddy?

I dont know where my parents got it from but they did buy it offline. So the best bet would be to google breakbuddy and find the vendor with the best price. I do know the price for the one they got was $800 sum. It really does work well.