First time lower ball joint removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Midgear

Reaction score
update on page 5-

after searching and not finding anything directly related to the lower ball joint (aside from videos and tips on how to recognize a shot one..) --

I got two MOOG K3199 LBJ's from advance auto parts and plan on installing them friday, along with my new front drive shaft.. then I'll be mechanically sound! WOOT!

Now- how does one go about getting this thing off, without spending any money hopefully. I'm only going to assume these are going to be a pain in the ass to get out, so I figured I'd ask and get answers before I make a stab at it and realize I shoulda asked earlier.

Last edited:

Midgear

Reaction score
completely remove the knuckle.. call me stupid but I have to ask- what would that be..?

Midgear

Reaction score
and is the press mandatory or will it make things alot easier? no alternatives? pickle fork?

my main worry is getting the old rusted ass crustified one out-

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and is the press mandatory or will it make things alot easier? no alternatives? pickle fork?

my main worry is getting the old rusted ass crustified one out-
The Knuckle is what the LBJ is pressed into,also houses the unit bearing.The ball joint press is mandatory,hence the name.

Throw that pickle fork away,should never be used on newer vehicles.

Midgear

Reaction score
so all I need for sure is a ball joint press.. wonder if they'll charge me for borrowing one- they didn't charge me for a pulley puller so hopefully not.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can rent the kit from advance auto parts. Mine wanted around $200 but they give it all back when you take it back. Better leave any entire day to get those pressed out and in if this is your first time, my stock joints were stuck in there pretty good. Ill post some pictures today for you.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the kit I rented:

You must be registered for see images attach

My joint popped out a little then stopped. You can see the bulge where I had it so tight. I let it soak with PB blaster for a few and it came right on out:

I rented a another kit to help pop the joints out and things. Some people like to beat on everything with a hammer but I personally dont. Its whatever floats your boat.

Make sure you dont tear any boots and dont use a pickle fork.

Midgear

Reaction score
well.. long story short- I don't have 200 bucks. I will next week but I don't think I wanna wait that long just to rent a ball joint press. wish they'd just take my license or something lol, or let me do it in the parking lot. I'll shoot it with PB and take a few whacks at it and hope for the best I guess- if it doesnt budge after a whack or two.. I'm just gonna put it back together and pray to god they hold till next week.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
well.. long story short- I don't have 200 bucks. I will next week but I don't think I wanna wait that long just to rent a ball joint press. wish they'd just take my license or something lol, or let me do it in the parking lot. I'll shoot it with PB and take a few whacks at it and hope for the best I guess- if it doesnt budge after a whack or two.. I'm just gonna put it back together and pray to god they hold till next week.

My .02
I wouldn't start at them and stop after taking a few whacks at them, if you start at them, finish them the same day....don't beat on the joints, not be able to get them out, then put it back together....and then drive it until next week.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02
I wouldn't start at them and stop after taking a few whacks at them, if you start at them, finish them the same day....don't beat on the joints, not be able to get them out, then put it back together....and then drive it until next week.

I agree. Dont think you will be able to get anything done with a hammer either. MAYBE a big socket and a large c clamp.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not have the correct tools to do the LBJ's do not do them since there is alot you can screw up pretty easy.You may be able to get them out with a hammer but you will destroy the new LBJ's trying to put them in.

It's either renting the correct tools for $200(and get that back when returned) or paying a shop $200(non-refundable) to install them using the same tools.

Midgear

Reaction score
yea the smackin it with a hammer and then putting it back together isnt sounding like such a good idea..

but I did come up with something else- what if I took the knuckle out with the ball joint attached, and then took that chunk of metal down to a shop and have them press the old one out, press the new one in, install the grease fitting and pump it full of grease and take THAT and install it back on the Jeep.. good? bad?

if I don't find a way to do this right the first time (trust me.. I wont beat it with a hammer.. i'll find a shop or the right tools first) - then I'm just gonna wait till next week.. reason I kinda wanna get em installed so fast is because my drive shaft was delivered today- so while I got the Jeep up on the stands tomorrow putting that thing in, might as well do the joints since I already have em. but! for the sake of doing it right the first time, I might wait.. unless taking the knuckle down to a shop sounds good.

surely they wouldn't charge 200 dollars just for 10 - 15 minutes of labor?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea the smackin it with a hammer and then putting it back together isnt sounding like such a good idea..

but I did come up with something else- what if I took the knuckle out with the ball joint attached, and then took that chunk of metal down to a shop and have them press the old one out, press the new one in, install the grease fitting and pump it full of grease and take THAT and install it back on the Jeep.. good? bad?

if I don't find a way to do this right the first time (trust me.. I wont beat it with a hammer.. i'll find a shop or the right tools first) - then I'm just gonna wait till next week.. reason I kinda wanna get em installed so fast is because my drive shaft was delivered today- so while I got the Jeep up on the stands tomorrow putting that thing in, might as well do the joints since I already have em. but! for the sake of doing it right the first time, I might wait.. unless taking the knuckle down to a shop sounds good.

That sounds like a good option, take them and the new ball joints to a shop and have them do it. Around here i could get a shop to press them in and out for an hour labor, flat rate charge, about $35. Yeah its going to cost twice that where you live maybe, around here i got lots of old school shadetree shops that will do stuff like that for next to nothing.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would e the best thing to do. Have a shop do the press work. LBJ`s are a **** if you do not have the right tools. It takes allot of force to put the new ones in. Be sure to look at where the grease fitting will be pointing when they press the Moogs in. is should face the front of the Jeep so you can grease them.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

Much better plan...nana.gif :D

Midgear

Reaction score
That sounds like a good option, take them and the new ball joints to a shop and have them do it. Around here i could get a shop to press them in and out for an hour labor, flat rate charge, about $35. Yeah its going to cost twice that where you live maybe, around here i got lots of old school shadetree shops that will do stuff like that for next to nothing.

Man I live in Mcalester Oklahoma.. the word "technology" isn't even recognized by 80% of the population.. it's an old fashion small town.. and the best place to shop here is a big ass wal mart.. hell we don't even have a krispy kream because we dont meet the population requirements LOL

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Man I live in Mcalester Oklahoma.. the word "technology" isn't even recognized by 80% of the population.. it's an old fashion small town.. and the best place to shop here is a big ass wal mart.. hell we don't even have a krispy kream because we dont meet the population requirements LOL

Been there,plenty of old school shops,garages,hang outs,to do what you need.

Latest posts

Members online