First projects on new Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbspm

Reaction score
I'm new to Jeeps and new to the forum.

I just bought an '04 KJ with 87,000 miles and after a couple months noticed that I need valve cover gaskets and downstream O2 sensors (engine codes and running roughly).

I'm also experiencing a burning smell when I come to a stop. I guess it could be the oil from the valve covers but it smells a bit different.

I'm currently working on the valve covers, and I found a plug disconnected under the air cleaner but can't figure out what it is or where the other end is. Any help in figuring these couple things out would be greatly appreciated.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should be checking/ changing everything , all fluids, oil, cooling, front and rear diffs, transfer case, transmission , tune up, air filter, PCV, etc.
Make sure you are using what is called for, like NGK cooper plugs, HOAT coolant etc.
Any time I buy one I do all of the above, check upper and lower control arms, front lower ball joints etc etc etc
Then of course at that mileage and age, springs and shocks. You know they are sagged .

mtbspm

Reaction score
I've started doing some of that. I'm slowly going through all the fluids. I've done oil and diffs. I've put a new air filter in as well.

The Ball Joints all do need replacing, You mentioned the control arms, what am I looking for on those?

With the way it rides on rough roads, shocks and springs are necessary as well, just not sure exactly what direction I want to do in with that yet.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've started doing some of that. I'm slowly going through all the fluids. I've done oil and diffs. I've put a new air filter in as well.

The Ball Joints all do need replacing, You mentioned the control arms, what am I looking for on those?

With the way it rides on rough roads, shocks and springs are necessary as well, just not sure exactly what direction I want to do in with that yet.

Front upper ball joints are built into the upper controla arms. So you have to replace the whole thing, best bet is jeepinbyal replacement, ball joints are replaceable in them , they have for unlifted and lifted
Springs / shocks best bet is OME with either OME or Bilstein shocks or the JBA coilovers
lower ball joints always replace with Moog with grease zerks

mtbspm

Reaction score
I've noticed that. If I go with the JBA arms, could I get the lift ones before I'm lifted? I don't want to spend money on something I'll have to replace again when/if I lift. I was planning on going with the serviceable joints. I already hate not having grease fittings.

As for coils and shocks. How is the on road ride with those shock options? I'm really not wanting to make it ride too bad this will primarily be a on road vehicle for me.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that. If I go with the JBA arms, could I get the lift ones before I'm lifted? I don't want to spend money on something I'll have to replace again when/if I lift. I was planning on going with the serviceable joints. I already hate not having grease fittings.

As for coils and shocks. How is the on road ride with those shock options? I'm really not wanting to make it ride too bad this will primarily be a on road vehicle for me.

The shocks/springs Tom mentioned are purely the best, on road and off. No questions about it, no second guesses or options, period. Off-road and lift kit don't have to mean that the ride is punishing on pavement... with OME and the options Tom mentioned, they aren't.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The ride is so much better lifted with the OME/Bilstein stuff. Night and day.

mtbspm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably start saving up for that stuff then. I've still got a couple issues, The roughness I'm experiencing is more prevalent now, and doesn't go away immediately like it did. I'm also now getting a P0137 and a P2314 code. Being that the O2 sensors are all new, I'm thinking that it's likely ignition coil and/or spark plug. Anything else I should be looking at as a possible cause?