First oil change.....when??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing my first oil change at 1500 miles. I have heard people do it at 500 and some do it at 3000. What do you think?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Not that bad of an idea. I think I did mine at 2000 miles for the first change. Normally the engine has some metal shazings in the oil, just because it's breaking in.

I am no expert in oil technology, but I'd think putting fresh oil in is always good.

Bennett

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Change

Took mine to the dealer for the first change at 1700 miles. Didn't hurt that it was free either. Same as Bennett though heard about the metal shavings thing, and second I had no idea how long my Jeep had been sitting at the dealer so what the heck. Probably overkill but I plan on driving my Renny for a long time.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Save yourself alot of trouble and swearing and take it to the dealer for the first change. The factory workers put that damn filter on so tight even the dealer boys struggle to get it off.

As for me, I went by the wrong schedule. I went by the schedule saying every 6K rather than 3K....then I read the fine print and called and made an appointment to get it changed. So mine went 6K on the first oil.....and no problems.....yet. I also got 14 free oil changes when I bought it, so i'm still using those up.

squirrellydw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks guys, I will do it around 1500. I also heard of the metal shavings and that is why I asked.

Thanks again, you guys have been alot of help.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Save yourself alot of trouble and swearing and take it to the dealer for the first change. The factory workers put that damn filter on so tight even the dealer boys struggle to get it off.

I did so, and I watched the repairman make three attempts to get the filter off, lol. I'm glad I took it to the dealer!

mhx

Reaction score
engines today are not made like engines of the past. The tools made to bore and machine engines are much much more precise then they used to be.. There shouldnt be any metal shavings in your engine. And all engines are broken in at the factory. I suggest doing your oil at 3000.

Any additional breakin is done by you driving it. The timely process of everything seating in the engine, seals etc..

But if you want to spend the money go for it.. its your jeep and your cash :)