First highway trip after regear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally took the jeep on the highway to work this am, in the snow storm after regearing Saturday. Went from stock 3.55 gears to 3.73's with DTT front and rear. Took surface streets home Saturday after I was done and took it easy all weekend on it. Took the highway to work this am, with the snow I wasn't going to break any records. For the first time since going with the meats I have now, I was able to cruise comfortably in 6th. Lower gears you don't really feel a big difference, it's mostly in 5th and 6th. Bought the truetracs online from drivetrain America, saved some money there. I had bought a front diff from a member on LOST with the gears I wanted. All I had to do was press new bearings on the carrier, swap the ring gear and install and just hang the front diff unit. Rear, I bought a used set of 3.73 gears but they never arrived. Postal service lost them and I have yet to see them. Forced me to buy a new set of Motive gears and an install kit. $118 for the used ones, $200 for the new ones. Took me about 6.5hrs to get it all done with alignment. Now if I would get a refund on the used gears, I could put that towards JBA arms. -0.6* and -0.7* camber in front.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work, streetglideok. I hope the P.O. gets you taken care of. :favorites13:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice set up with the DTT front and rear too. Surprised you didn't have 3.73's from the factory but yours is a 6spd manual, right? Should be better in the snow and off-road than open diff's. Are you feeling a big difference?

(hope you get your money back from the lost gears from the post office)

Dave

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6speeds due to the close ratio gearing they use, get by with 3.55 gears. Works great at lower elevations, but up here, you do feel it! Had a chance to run it in snow yesterday, and it drives different but no real issues with it fishtailing. The front unit is what is going to take a while getting used to. Sudden steering wheel input results in a DTT talking back to you, where the steering gets heavy, and wants to return to center, very bad,lol. That's the most annoying part right now. Anxious to take it out and see how it does.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front unit is what is going to take a while getting used to. Sudden steering wheel input results in a DTT talking back to you, where the steering gets heavy, and wants to return to center, very bad,lol. That's the most annoying part right now. Anxious to take it out and see how it does.
Give it about week and you'll never notice it.Really gives a more positive feel in the steering.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's positive alright, lol. Getting used to it for the most part, just once in a while it reminds me. Quick inputs seem to be what makes it worse. Of course that lousy drive on I-25 makes it hard to figure out if anything is out of wack or not. I swear Rampart Rd was smoother than that road is to Monument.

Latest posts

Members online