Finally replacing engine - couple of questions

Discussion in 'KJ General Discussion' started by Royy, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:50 PM.

1. Royy

Royy Full Access Member

I'm finally getting around to replacing my worn-out engine. I was able to find an engine out of an '08 KK with only 65k miles and great compression. I'll be picking it up on Monday.

I'm getting together everything I'll need, and have run into a couple of things I'm not sure about:

- Is there an EGR block off plate available for the 3.7? I can find them for other engines, but nothing for the 3.7.

- I believe I will have to tap a hole for one of the power steering pump bolts. Is there anything I have to be aware of when doing this? I don't want to risk damaging the block.

- To mount the engine to an engine stand, do you use the bolt holes where it mounts to the transmission bell housing?

- In order to spin the engine by hand (to be able to get to all the torque converter bolts), I assume the transmission has to be in neutral?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions once I start working on it... Thanks all!

2. mrlavalamp

mrlavalamp Full Access Member

with an auto you should be able to spin it in park. manual must be in neutral.

Engine to stand I have always used the trans bell-housing bolts without issue. Try to find the bolt size/thread and measure out your stand parts, you will probably need to go buy longer bolts with the correct thread to bolt it up.

Cant tell you about the PS pump bolt.

From everything I have seen recently EGR block off is a waste of time on modern engines unless you are going MUCH further with performance mods. This wasn't always the case of course, which is why EGR has the reputation it has, but this might explain why you cant find block off kits.

JasonJ likes this.
  3. Royy

Royy Full Access Member

Thanks! I want to block the EGR on the new engine because my '05 doesn't have an EGR system. So I figured simply blocking the EGR port on the new engine will be a lot simpler than installing the complete EGR system.

JasonJ likes this.