finally happened... probably been there for a while but now positive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after 321K+ miles my engine is finally showing signs of head gasket leak is kaput via coolant in the oil. i had been losing oil every 1000 miles and coolant would disappear but never saw it in the oil till now...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, what did you routinely replace? Awesome mileage. Guess it was inevitable that something had to give. What oil/weight did you use? Not that it matters all that much...any oil nowadays is good.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
routinely? probably the waterpump. i changed plugs maybe once or twice. only 2 coils changed. i was bad with oil changes, every 7 to 10K but i was putting in a new quart every 1k miles. driving it everyday, at least 60 miles per day, kept it going. its been sitting for sometime so im guessing the gasket dried up. i used 5w30 by either mobil 1 or valvoline(max life).

as for rebuild vs replace, not sure yet. have to poke around about the rebuild. i was quoted $5k for a remanufactured engine and $3k for salvage around the time i had the transmissions rebuilt. both prices included labor.

Yeah, what did you routinely replace? Awesome mileage. Guess it was inevitable that something had to give. What oil/weight did you use? Not that it matters all that much...any oil nowadays is good.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, 3k for a salvage! I can get an 05 with about 80-90k on it for 900. 2k in labor seems a bit much.

Latest posts

Members online