Finally a CRD owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseledkj

Reaction score
First, I would like to say hello to everyone. Next, I've been wanting a CRD since they came out in 05. Finally I'm a CRD owner. Short and sweet 2005 Sport, CRD, 4X4, dark green, 14,700 miles, with warranty until mar/2013 and paid under 16,000.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to kj country! and congrats as a new CRD owner, ive had mine since April now. I must first say i love it, it totaly pwns w/ its 300lb-ft of torque out on the trail! But.... consider this friendly advice if your not aware:

This vehilce is wonderful, but im convince DC never quite finished the fine deails and left it up to us "enthusiasts" to figure out ourselves. You may ore may not know all this so if you do, sorry to bother u, but if not this info may keep u from having to call a tow truck one day, or better still, keep u from breaking down somewhere where u could die.

common problems:

1) fuel filter housing (where the inline heater element is) over heats and melts the housing causing a small air leak, so every once and a while if it sits a while, it draws in too much air, and the CRD will stall, you can just bleed the air out and carry on. My solution is change out the whole asembly when changing fuel filter mopar part cost 175.00 easy to do. cost a bit high tho If you live somewhere hot, just unplug the inline heater, so it wont be a problem

2)every so often you will be driving along at about 63-68mph in top gear, the vehicle trys to down shift but skips one gear and goes 5th to 3rd, makes a kachunk noise and then finds a gear and thats it. Suncost has a Torque converter upgrade that seems to drasticly improve auto ****** performance for this and other ****** related issues (DC auto trannys are all torque flites based on the original desgin in 1956, w/ a 2 speed over under inside the ******)

3)EGR solinoid fails often throwing a CEL usualy P1140, Only way to not have to fix it all the time is to disable it somehow, tho, i havent heard a goode idea for this yet, there are MANY MANY hacks to date. Some think w/ the advent of ULSD it will all go away......

4)when your in 4wheel low shifting the auto ****** from D Drive to R reverse is quite clunky there is a little plastic clip holding the transmision linkage together under the beast just forward of the auto ******, i shifted from D to R one to many times and it snaped and shifting was impossible w/ out climing under the vehilce and pulling on the wire. the replacement part DC gave me was made of thicker plastic w/ metal re-enforment, even though they said there was no recall, if yours isnt the metal one, i would sugggest re-enforcing it, or being careful shifting in 4WL

There are a few other people out there w/ complaints but these are all the things that have happend to me. So far.

Suggestions:
1) I would suggest getting a code scanner to watch your engine more carfully, the Scan Gauge III is good, but it often crashes in use b/c of DC's wonderful integration effort w/ the itallian motroti engine.

2) keep a took box in your CRD always =D

3) there is a thing called an ORM or off road mod out there that disables your EGR but i think it made my EGR clogg up and go bad, extra soot baking against the throttle plate. So if you decide to do the ORM BEWARE! =)

4) Provent CCV filter is prolly a good idea, but i havent done it yet, it prevents the engines Crank case venting from belching oil all over your turbo, intercooler, and intake

dieseledkj

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I've been reading these forums for some time now. Your information has given me something else to do this week. I'm currently waiting on the title to come back from DC so I can get my plates. So far I have cleaned the map sensor, added a (quote on quote) elephant hose, changed the oil (5w-40 rotella synthetic) and began working on a clevis and spring bushing lift. I hope to be putting some bigger shoe's on it later on next week. Do you happen to have the part # for the linkage clip that you replaced? I would like to get that fixed asap. As for the EGR I'm thinking of going with the Inmotion tuning (stage II) that stops the use of the EGR by 60%. As for the fuel filter, that is not a bad idea because if i'm not mistaken it comes with a new filter installed. And last but not least I have a MAC Tools OBDII scanner. Thanks again for all the information.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill look up my service paperwork when i get home and give you the part number for the linkage clip. unfortunatly it will be the linkage asembly, for which the clip is a part, so it may be $$$ not sure, a survey underneath may get the creativity going for a homedepot hack fix....

Im getting the new franken lift installed next week, its redesigned so that people have MUCH less issues ripping their CV boots during install, its now a 2.25" lift not a 2.5" lift (so less trouble on axels ect) Ill post a b4 after here when it all happens....

my elephant mod has been working great! here's a pic of it, theres a little filter on the end just to keep things a bit more clean! I have moved the location from what is in the pic to:

between the lower A arm (back side) AND the oil filter so the steam/oil doesnt make a mess in the engine compartment.

pic of filter on end of hose
You must be registered for see images attach

wine cork to plug up the orig hose of CCV

bypass filter installed (ive since build a simple mount so it dont wobble about)

P.S that little red wire connecting to the front of the fuel filter housing (one on rt) is the bad boy that fails...

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi o8k may i ask what is an elephant mod?

The elaphant mod is a cheap way to perform the same function as mentioned in my first post in here:

4) Provent CCV filter is prolly a good idea, but i havent done it yet, it prevents the engines Crank case venting from belching oil all over your turbo, intercooler, and intake

Welcome! Yet another happy diesel driver!

O8K: what's that AMSOIL thingy?

Thats a bypass filter, there are essentialy two filters, one which is rather normal in nature, and another smaller one, that filters about 10 times better i forget the numbers exactly. but anyways u cant run all the oil through the little guy by himself b/c the pressure and flow rates dont match, so the engine oil only cycles through the little guy about 1/10th the rate of the main filter. this makes for super clean oil, less diesel soot build up in the oil, longer drain intervals, ect ect.... The oil lasts so long now i burn it faster than it wears out....

Theres a tone of info on "L.O.S.T" about all this, http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/ is kinda where i learned about most of it and recieved help on various things. There's some great and helpful people over there. However, some are quite opinionated on what is best so take it with a grain of salt, or dont heck i donno..., I dont totaly align myself with their beliefs and im not too popular for it (gotta be me!) but again very helpful info, and people.

Last edited: