Final Score: Jeep 1, Stump 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend I hired a homeless guy (through a friend) to help me with some major yard work.

A while back I had cut down this overgrown juniper shrub, and a gnarly stump remained.

This guy set to work attempting to dig it up but the roots were just too much, so I said "lets try and pull it out with the Jeep"!

I've always wanted to do that ;)

Unfortunately no one had the presence of mind to get the camera for some action shots, but here is the result. Took a fair bit of tugging be we got'er done :)

You must be registered for see images

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, thats pretty cool. I was proud of myself when I moved any entire tree with my Jeep that was blocking a trail. Took me awhile but I got it out of the way.

Pretty cool you hired a homeless guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool you hired a homeless guy.

Thanks, it made me feel pretty good to pay the guy for 8 hours of work, and boy did he work.

He's been through some rough times, but is trying to get back on his feet. He currently lives in a tent in an old apple orchard - makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have what I do.

Dave

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Homeless

Glad you found a guy that was actually trying to get back on his feet. We don't have to big of a homeless population around here, but the two I see on a regular basis, have set up camp at the bottom of my exit ramp. Right behind the liquor store! They've made a HUGE trash pile and they're only out in nice weather. Rumor has it they make about $50,000 a year pan handeling.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it made me feel pretty good to pay the guy for 8 hours of work, and boy did he work.

He's been through some rough times, but is trying to get back on his feet. He currently lives in a tent in an old apple orchard - makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have what I do.

Dave

It's nice that you helped a homeless guy out. I run across them once in a while in my travels and always try to help out. We don't have any in the village I live in that I know of as this place is too small, but every once in a while I see one walking down the highway.

Nice work on the stump. Did you tie it to a shackle in your trailer hitch?

Dave

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you found a guy that was actually trying to get back on his feet. We don't have to big of a homeless population around here, but the two I see on a regular basis, have set up camp at the bottom of my exit ramp. Right behind the liquor store! They've made a HUGE trash pile and they're only out in nice weather. Rumor has it they make about $50,000 a year pan handeling.

We don't see too many around my area either, I'm about 50 miles north of Toronto but if you go down into the city they're on every corner.

I'd much rather pay somebody $10/hour for an honest day's work than throw a dollar or two to they guy on the corner who probably will just go buy booze with it.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice that you helped a homeless guy out. I run across them once in a while in my travels and always try to help out. We don't have any in the village I live in that I know of as this place is too small, but every once in a while I see one walking down the highway.

Nice work on the stump. Did you tie it to a shackle in your trailer hitch?

Dave

Dave,

That's about it - I looped my recovery strap around the stump and attached the other end to a shackle in my hitch reciever.

I had the Jeep in 4lo, and just let it idle forward to take up the slack and give it a tug. Backed up about a foot and repeated about 6-8 times to gradually work it out. My driveway is slightly downhill so that probably helped too.

Dave

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a dead limb out of a tree with my Lib last year after i bought it. The limb was huge but the jeep didnt even rock as it broke it out of the tree. pretty neat feeling. i love the power of 4 wheel drive.

Latest posts

Members online