Figured I'd say what's up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikelpaul13

Reaction score
Aye my name's Mikel , I live in Cleveland. I drive a 2011 Jeep Liberty. I've always loved jeeps & wasn't sure about the liberty at first but it's cool. It's now my favorite vehicle & is becoming a fun project . I've done some minor audio updates , and custom interior parts but nothing major yet. Since it hit 90,000 miles it's been a bit of a pain with wheel bearing issues, rotted leaking oil pan, & no heat unless accelerating. So I think I'm gonna put it in my garage & pull the engine & do a rebuild . I would appreciate any ideas, tips, advice from you guys who have been working on these things for yrs . Thank you .

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Mikepaul13.
90,000 miles there's things I would do before considering a rebuild. Get a compression test on all cylinders.
Report back the psi readings, install new plugs, Use only NGK ZFR6F-11 (set the Gap @ .043 in)
Heat problemo= flush the cooling system, drop a new water pump in there, and only use Hoat or Zerex G-05 coolant. Bleed air out.
Check tensioners & install new Gates EPDM Belt would be a good idea.
Oil pan, not fun but with a new oil pan, use high temp rust paint X3 coats before installing it. The stamped pans OE paint jobs don't cut it.
Bearings Mopar is best: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/hub-bearing-issues.76537/#post-773109

Mikelpaul13

Reaction score
Welcome Mikepaul13.
90,000 miles there's things I would do before considering a rebuild. Get a compression test on all cylinders.
Report back the psi readings, install new plugs, Use only NGK ZFR6F-11 (set the Gap @ .043 in)
Heat problemo= flush the cooling system, drop a new water pump in there, and only use Hoat or Zerex G-05 coolant. Bleed air out.
Check tensioners & install new Gates EPDM Belt would be a good idea.
Oil pan, not fun but with a new oil pan, use high temp rust paint X3 coats before installing it. The stamped pans OE paint jobs don't cut it.
Bearings Mopar is best: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/hub-bearing-issues.76537/#post-773109
Great I appreciate it man. The thermostat & Waterpump is new , bled the air out of the system , and zerex coolant . Is it best to go with all mopar then ? I don't remember what brand the waterpump was but I replaced it in November & flushed & replaced thermostat in December. I will grab the belt & did replace spark plugs with ngk & coils in September. I will post the compression readings tomorrow. Thank you for the advice .

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Was it Zerex G-05 you used?
You must be registered for see images attach

If ^ That is what you used then you are good.
If wrong coolant, not good, flush the whole system, start over.
Was it a Mopar thermostat that you used??
Look forward to psi specs, note each cyl location & psi form each is best.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Welcome from just north of the OSU contamination zone. :p Mom was from Cleveland and all her relatives were there.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Welcome to the board
Document the rebuild process as some of us might want to do it in the near future.
My 3.7 L is either burning oil or leaking while driving, not much oil on the ground when it's parked and no blue smoke.
It's almost to the point of check the gas and fill the oil every few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online