fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Southern drawl of Foghorn Leghorn; "That wuz a JOKE son, a Joke".:happy175:

Bob

In the voice of Jimmy Stewart
Well now you see here, this thing, well the thing is, it was a joke back at you:gr_grin:

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been watching videos on Youtube bout Tube Fenders lately so I think I'm gonna try and go that route for the KJ I have not seen any online with a set. Just need to get some tube bending equipment and set up my welding gear Soon as I get a free moment I'll start that project I think it will look pretty good with that kind of set up.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have said the wheel well exposed when using flat fenders is not very attractive. I wonder if you can modify the liners. Flat tube fenders might allow much larger tires, I'm thinkin'.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some people have said the wheel well exposed when using flat fenders is not very attractive. I wonder if you can modify the liners. Flat tube fenders might allow much larger tires, I'm thinkin'.

Well I plan on modifying that stuff I'll come up with something to make it both functional and purdy at the same time. I am still keeping the main parts just fabricating the part were the plastic is

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great. Well, I hope you start a new thread about this project so we don't hijack dalton_ray's thread. I'd be interested in following it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Due to the design of the metal inner fenders a flat style " flare" does not give extra clearance really.
Still dealing with the pinch weld area etc .
Pic shows 33s and already cut/ hacked/ pinch weld area
You can see where the " flare" mounts to so even with a flat flare you have a lot of metal hanging down in the way
You must be registered for see images attach

with flat flare mounted see how much hangs down , metal wise that can't just be cut out

With a good lift done right, enough room for 32s etc anyways
Unless you just have to have 33s then also a steel front diff / 4.56s etc ( and they'll still work with the way mine is done anyways)

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of a flat fender that I fabbed up a couple years ago. I used 1" round tube steel, 16 gauge sheet, and a harbor freight pipe bender. They did offer a small amount of extra clearance, I like the different look (compared to stock), once I undercoated the wheel well, and now I have a place to set my tools/coffee cup/beer can/cell phone/water bottle when I am working in the engine compartment...:party52:

The look is not for everyone. Most like the clean lines of the stock look (and I definitely understand that), but I just wanted something different.

Attachments

• Fender 1.jpg
    Fender 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Fender 2.jpg
    Fender 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Fender 3.jpg
    Fender 3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Fender 4.jpg
    Fender 4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Fender 5.jpg
    Fender 5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 59

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go

Thanks. What I was after is a clearer view of the flared fender and the fender well. I edited your photo below to get that. It looks like these aren't really flat flares, they're modified stock flares - you cut part of the overhanging lip off. Is that correct?

You must be registered for see images