Feeling the gears shift and bucking when backing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beth

Reaction score
:confused: I have a jeep 2005 which now has 25,400 miles on it. The trouplem I am having is that when I stp on the it lurched real fast, then when the gers change I also feel the shift glide in gear. I have having a problem with backing up. When I back up anywhere thee car jerks backward and forward. I've brought it to the Jeep Service Center and they cannot find anything wrong with it. They say when they back up nothing happens - no jerks or lurching.

Anybody smarter than the guys in the Jeep Service Center to help me solve this problem. My warranty is over in Jan 08, and I have thing of buying an extended warranty.

Some one please help me with these problems.

Beth

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to understand what youre asking.

A mild jerking/lurking when backing up is normal for the 42rle. Check the ****** fluid level with the jeep in N(parking brake set and/or wheels chocked) and up to operating temp. If the fluid level is on 'TEMP HOT' then its good.

Idk what you mean with the "****** gliding into gear."

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know all about your problems. Have the same problems as you are describing with my wife's 05 jeep. Its got about the same mileage as you have, but since we bought it new, the problem has been there. Mine has been to the dealer three times, and they haven't successfully fixed it yet. I have a call into the local Chysler rep to see what they will do about it, but haven't gotten a solution yet. My mother in law has a 05 similarly equiped to ours, and hers doesn't jerk at all in reverse, so I know its something wrong with the jeep. I will let you know if I find anything else from the jeep people.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time mine, or my mom's does it is when you're backing up an incline. It'll shimmy, shake, jerk, etc...but not really bad, and not on level ground. If it only does it on an incline or hill like that, then it's normal and has been talked about on here in the past. If not, I wouldn't know....keep taking it to the dealer I guess.:confused:

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that and i got a flash done on it. It seemed to help quiet a bit. I noticed mine doing it a bit but didnt think much of it until I was off in a fairly steep driveway in a new sub-division. I had no way of turning around so backing up was all i had. I had to rev it to almost 5000rpms to get the thing to even budge. I thought i would burn the ****** up for sure.