Fan clutch removal help!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to do water pump on 06 3.7 with heavy duty cooling. Can’t get the fan clutch off. I rented the tools but can’t get the holding tool to work do to no room for it. Do I need to take the radiator out to remove the fan shroud? It would be so much easier without it there. At least I can see better. Still need to get the fan clutch off but at least I could see some. So what’s the trick?

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the wrench on the clutch and smack it with a hammer to break it loose. If that doesn't work, might have to do what I did on my Ram and heat it with a torch then smack the wrench.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try to take the shroud off first for more room but you'll need to cut a small notch at the bottom of the shroud to clear the clutch fan.

I usually run a metal coat hanger through the holes in the WP pulley and secure it to a threaded stud right above it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Large adjustable wrench that reaches above shroud sticking straight up. Whack away, and keep resetting wrench, repeat this process repeatedly (with the belt on of course) until it comes loose. Be persistent. I did this a while ago and just when i gave up and started trying rig something to hold the pulley it spun right off. The power rangers were right..."never give up!"

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I got a chain strap wrench that held the pump with no issues and was able to remove it easily. Having the right tools help. I rented the tools but they were wrong and didn’t work. Ended up using my own.