Extended warranties?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my KJ used....and my 2,000 lil warranty is pretty much up already. I want to purchase an extended warranty plan, to be safe. Do any of you have experience with this? Or have one? Any suggestions?

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine used as well, and only had a few months left on the 3yr/36k factory warranty. Normally I don't go in for extended warranties, but I figured between the transfer case, axle shafts and what not, it would be a good idea, so I now have a 7yr/100k bumper to bumper (with a $100 deductible). I'd have to check but I think it was less than $2000, and so far it's gotten me a transmission and a rear liftgate latch, so in my case it was a pretty good deal.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am covered fo r7 years 100,000 miles. covers everything except for maintenance parts and rubber. cost about $1600 under 12,000 miles. i feel its worth it and they prorate it if u ever trade it in or dont use it u get some money back. id say go for it cuz u never know but thats my 2 cents

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine this past labor day and I went ahead and got the 5yr/75,000mile warranty. I think it was like $850 or so. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but it's there if I do. [-o<

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot buy the DaimlerChrysler SERVICE CONTRACT beyond 4/48k, and even if you do get it at that point, it will cost you and arm and a leg beyond what it would had you bought it within 12months/12,000 miles. They go up quite a bit beyond that point and continue to go up from there as the car ages. It is not an extended warranty, it is a service contract, despite the common usage of that term. Any aftermarket warranty is going to be playing russian roulette with your money because so many of them go under, require you to pay for the repairs up front then reimburse you later - if they approve it, or mandate the use of aftermarket or salvage parts over genuine Mopar. If you are beyond 4/48k, you're just kind of screwed, honestly. But if you must, www.warrantydirect.com is the best out there in terms of solvency, price and customer service/satisfaction.

Here is a little write up I did when I bought my Charger which will apply to those of you still eligible to buy the DCx service contract:

In light of how much some members already paid for their REAL DCx service contracts, I am adding this disclaimer:

! DO NOT PROCEED TO READ IF YOU ALREADY BOUGHT YOUR WARRANTY. YOU WILL KICK YOURSELF IN THE HEAD REPEATEDLY FOR IT !

OK, I have extensive experience with this, so let me lay it all out for you. Do not go with anyone other than DCx if you care about your car or Mopar. ALL other companies will use aftermarket parts and are not as reliable or extensive as the Maximum Care plan directly from DCx. Do your homework and see how many aftermarket warranty companies have gone belly up and left their policy holders stranded and desperately seeking secured creditor status... Not to mention the whole issue of them denying claims all the time, requiring you to pay the shop up front then seek reimbursement for your claim, using NON MOPAR?! *GASP*! With a DCx, you don't pay anything at the shop because they are instantly approving it through DCx and they will ONLY USE MOPAR or whatever the OEM on your car was (for isolated non-Mopar parts like say...Bosch rotors.) Warranty Direct IS a reputable company but they will also use aftermarket and require you to pay the bill up front before reimbursement. Plus, check their prices against the DCx Maximum Care warranty sites I list later in this tutorial and you will find that MOST of their warranties of comparable coverage, deductible, etc cost MORE.

Now, anything you buy in a dealership is negotiable, but ESPECIALLY THE WARRANTY! Want to know what the markup is on a warranty? 100%. That's right, your warranty they sell at 3200 really costs closer to 1400, in fact a little bit less. Take the warranty I bought for instance: Dealer's asking price was 3200 for the 7yr/85k miles with $50 deductible. Actual COST to the dealer was $1365. Now keep in mind this is something they sell for pure pure pure profit. They do not have to extend themselves up front by buying the product to keep in inventory, they do not spend money housing it on-site like other parts or cars. The product never exists to them until you buy it. And when you do, they make the tap tap tap on the keyboard and Chrysler sends you all the material. Their only effort or financial extension is in telling Chrysler you bought the thing, and paying Chrysler for what the actual cost was. Everything else goes right into their fat wallets at your expense...LARGE EXPENSE. So yeah, haggle them. But you will find out what I did, they HATE losing those thousands in profit they are so accustomed to. What they hate even more is selling you a DCx warranty because they make even more off the aftermarket ones between the higher markup and kickbacks from the company they are marketing to you. Just try to get them below $300 off that $3200 MSRP warranty that actually costs 1365...they will bitch and moan and say they can only do it if you buy their care package of 10 years worth of radiator flushes and oil changes but they won't come down. So you tell them another dealer sells it for $2800 (which I did) and they will act like you are tearing their arm out of their socket but will eventually relent and play buddy with you saying, "I can do it and because we care about your business and want you to stick with us, I will beat them by $50." But that is still $1400 over cost, you think! I dare you to take them lower, this is where they get beligerant and scream. I, without saying which dealer, politely informed them that I was afraid that, though they are in my neighborhood, I just could not justify paying that much because I knew a place where it was approximately $1600 or $250 markup and HE WENT NUTS! The big guy turned red and started screaming at me and pulled out the old cliche, "you are taking food out of my children's mouths. Management will fire me if I sell it to you for that. I can't ONLY make $250 profit." Now keep in mind that $250 profit is approximately 20% markup! Pretty damn reasonable if you ask me. And it is significantly below the 100%+ markup they want to begin with. So I sat for a moment and responded just as I have already stated, "profit is profit, buddy. You are making $250 off $1365. If I walk out right now you are really just losing $250 of easy money off a product you don't even have to stock, clean, maintain or pay overhead on. You either make $250 or you make nothing and I know of at least one dealer who cares about making my $250." Yeah, I was given the boot.

So you want the lowdown now, I know. You can buy your DCx warranty at ANY DCx dealer. That means Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, Eagle, Plymouth, etc, though the former 2 are now since deceased but their signs are still hanging at many dealerships that have since converted to Chrysler. This being said, here are the two cheapest dealers I know of in the country and aside from being best friends with someone that owns a dealership (as I am) you won't get a better deal.

I bought the service contract on my Jeep from a dealer that charges only $100 over cost if you ask them to. They understand that profit is profit and don't let pride get in the way of making a couple bucks when they can. Simply let them know the prices you have been quoted on your warranty from other dealers, ie. the ones listed below, and they will undercut it, typically they will come back with $100 over cost, depending on who you talk to. Out of respect, I won't post the Dealer, or the Warranty Manager's name here, but will provide it to you if you PM me.

eservicecontracts.com sells every single one of their warranties for $250 markup as my math has shown me. Keep in mind I have not run these numbers on EVERY single warranty they have on their site, but all the ones in my scope of consideration were $250 markup. The site is completely reputable and is run by Wittrock Chrysler in Iowa and they are a Five Star dealer. A quick DNS of eservicecontracts.com confirmed this, as did a call to Wittrock Motors directly based on the number listed on Chrysler.com's dealer listing for Carroll, IA.

A slightly cheasier website, but also a cheaper price quote is www.chrysler-jeep-dodge-warranty.com/ Website name aside, they are legit and only mark up their warranties by $200. The site is run by Golick Motors in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, but they are legit, nonetheless. While www.golick.com may make them look like a POS dealership, a DCx warranty is a DCx warranty and you can always do a chargeback on your credit card if they screw you.

Questions? PM me. I played this game for months and got what I wanted in the long run, plus a wealth of knowledge. *steps off soapbox*

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got our jeep new and paid to extend the 3/36k warranty to 5/60k.

Most used car warranties only cover thew drivetrain - not electircal components and accesories. It's probably not a bad idea to get one, but keep in mind you have a deductible...and when sensors etc. break they won't be covered under most warranties. Make sure to read the terms carefully.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't buy extended warranties because if you look in the fine print, it seems like they cover almost nothing. Luckily I bought mine and it still has 7/70 on it, and I still got 30k more of it to go. \:D/

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to stop being so general. The DCx Maximum Care is a true bumper to bumper EVERYTHING is covered except for service items, and nobody will cover those. The Bumper to Bumper from warrantydirect.com, which is the only option for those beyond 4yr/48k miles, covers just as much. So yeah, buy a crap warranty, you get crappy coverage. Isn't that how all of life is?

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
You need to stop being so general. The DCx Maximum Care is a true bumper to bumper EVERYTHING is covered except for service items, and nobody will cover those. The Bumper to Bumper from warrantydirect.com, which is the only option for those beyond 4yr/48k miles, covers just as much. So yeah, buy a crap warranty, you get crappy coverage. Isn't that how all of life is?

That's true, but even Max Care has it's loopholes. I took mine in for a bad air leak noise (along with other work). They diagnosed it as a bad windshield seal. I was rather surprised to find out that they would not cover it, as DC claims the windshield seal is a wear item.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pushed the dealer into giving me a 6/60K Max Care (Bumper to Bumper) with $100 deductible for about $1200, a price I found on the internet from a dealer in Mass. He wasn't too happy, as they originally wanted $1600, and believe me, he tried every trick in the book to get me to buy from him at his price. I'm definitely happy, as it's always good to have piece of mind, especially having 4X4. Even with loopholes in the Max Care plan, I think it will still prove to be worthwhile. It just goes to show you, you should shop around a little bit, you never know what you might find.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid a lil mor ethan $1600 for mine. The guy even told me they usually go for nearly $3000. so i guess they didnt make too much on me. Its still worth it though.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

$1,600 can buy a lot of repairs. $3,000 can buy much more. If your car doesn't suffer a catastrophic failure of a covered part, before your time &/or miles are up, you lost a lot of money! ](*,)

Take the money, put it in a mutual fund & keep it there until your car breaks down. Then Pay for it yourself. You'll be much better off financially. \:D/

These companies don't make money if they pay out more than they take in... and they ARE MAKING MONEY #-o

dnm45227

Reaction score
we bought the extended warranty on our renegade from the dealer. i think we paid $2300 it has a $100 deductible.

here's the kicker though. if we DON'T use it, after 70k miles or 7 years we get $1500 cash money back to us. so for $800 bucks I have the peace of mind that if anything major goes wrong i'll be covered.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
we bought the extended warranty on our renegade from the dealer. i think we paid $2300 it has a $100 deductible.

here's the kicker though. if we DON'T use it, after 70k miles or 7 years we get $1500 cash money back to us. so for $800 bucks I have the peace of mind that if anything major goes wrong i'll be covered.

So if the ****** goes out, and cost $1000 to fix, would you let the extended warranty pay for it or take the extra $500 when the warranty is over and pay the 1k? :-k

dnm45227

Reaction score
depends on how close to the 7 year/70k mark. less half to 3/4 of the way through i might go out of pocket. if i were at 69999k i'd surely go out of pocket.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:

But, If you put $2300 into a mutual fund earning an average of 7% interest for 7 years, you'll have earned $1200 and your $2300 is still yours!

So if nothing happens, & honestly, it probably won't, by the end of 7 years, you can walk away with either $800 or $3215 :-k

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its true that you would save by not even getting the extended warranty. Its the fact that you know you have it that is nice. You loose so much money even buying a car its not worth trying to save alittle with the extended warranty. 8-[

dnm45227

Reaction score
ya, but if more than one thing happens i'd come out better. plus if something did happen and i drew down that fund early i would loose any potential savings due to penalties.

it's all a crap shoot, just what your risk tolerance is. i was financing the car they said they could throw it in, so i said why not. like i said 800 bucks for 70k miles of knowing if it breaks they fix it. plus my wife really puts on the miles. baugt it 7/05 and almost half way to 70k.