Expedition Trailer V1.1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a fabrication section so I'll post here and I'm sure it will be moved if wrong. Out here there are miles and miles between miles and miles so I felt that a good expedition trailer will get me out farther for longer.

Here's Phase 1 of the new project that will become a pretty nifty trailer.

The frame is 4' x 5' to facilitate ease of making the floor:

You must be registered for see images attach

For the wise guys out there, the project is sitting upside down...

I am using hubs that are 5 on 4.5 so I can use the same wheel/tire configuration that's on the KJ. This does two things:
I have two more spares worse-case
Having matching wheels brings teh sexy

Pintle hitch mounts:

A preview of the lid construction; this is another project in a Canadian military trailer. It's made from Aluminum cut with a frickin' laser:

It's very light and will support the weight of a RTT, people and gear.

I will do my best to post up images as there's progress. The next part is adding the deck, tongue, box in the shackle mounts for strength and possible expanded metal on the tongue to facilitate a bolt-on rack to hold propane or whatever.

Opinions welcome, I am by no means an expert.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL Rockies thinks that the frickin' laser is too expensive and the ROI would be whack. JL Rockies thinks it's better to design it and send it out to be cut just like the one pictured was.

If anyone is confused about what I am trying to build, check out "Adventure Trailers" for the benchmark.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie genuinely hopes you update this on a regular basis because it is relevant to his interests.

Do you haz parts list thus far? Any drawings you've done of what you want it to be when it's all finished out?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good so far!
I wanted to make my own expedition style trailer that had a sleeping quarters, but then I found a decent pop-up camper for free, so that took my idea, as big as it is, it will not be as capable as your trailer will be, but I am flipping the axle changing the hubs to match the KJs wheels and plenty more when the time and money allow to make it more capable!

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep this updated as progress is made. I am juggling this, a timing belt change, general badassedness and pimpination so updates will probably not be a fast as anyone involved would like.

So far, I'm in it for $500 for everything shown... but I lucked into a sweet deal on the materials.

The box will be a tube frame about 24" tall with a lid (as shown) and a tailgate. I am not sure yet what gauge steel will be used to make the walls.

What it is so far is a perfectly squared frame made from 3 inch channel and measures 60"x48" the cross members are 2"x3"x3/16" angle iron; the front tongue is also 3" channel. It has a brand spankin new set of tires that are Jaxxon ST205/75D15 with a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt patter (same bolt pattern as Most Jeeps), and a brand new Hendersons trailer axle 61 inches wms to wms.

All said and done I will probably be into it for $1500 depending on changes in the cost of steel. Once it's done, it will be powder coated (I have acces to a 8'x8'x16' oven) which will probably be worth $500 and spray the interior with bedliner which is probably worth another $200 or so. The expensive part will be getting this baby fitted with "stuff" like the RTT, wheels/tires, fridge, lighting, awning, generator, propane tank, stove, gun rack, etc. The tent alone will cost more than the build.

My logic (used to convince myself its a good idea) is going to MOAB for me is like going to Disney World for many south Floridians. The most expensive thing for me is the lodging. I figure that even if I don't always go out on the trails every time, OK RV park is only $16 per night. My retardo logic figures that everytime I go down there I actually make like $200 so the trailer pays for itself in only a season.
Hope this helps, thanks for reading.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just some observations;)
Axle looks awful small, should be a 3500 lb to hold up over time, 2000 will never do it plus the bearings are bigger in a heavier axle. Bigger tires need bigger bearings/axle.
Springs need to be longer as well, YJ springs work great and allow more flex and a lot smoother ride.
Axle also looks narrow, looks like you'll need to run spacers to be able to run matching wheels on the trailer and KJ

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle just needs to hold up long enough to get me away from the zombie apocalypse when it comes and I want to keep things narrow so I know whatever the KJ fits through, the trailer can as well.

There was a long discussion about using aluminum to build everything above the frame. Arguments for cited light weight and no warping problems like you have with steel. Arguments against (mine) cited expense and the fact that aluminum can start to crack under vibration. The conclusion was steel box and aluminum lid which will save a lot of weight and can be replaced if the bad thing happens.

A 3500LB axle would've been super-cool in a far-out kinda way but it wasn't among the materials that I lucked into. If money were no object, I would just order me up an Adventure Trailer which is just electric sex on wheels.

Last edited:

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about fabricating a portable electric fence that can be deployed and connected to the Batt through a step-up transformer but I don't think that it will have any affect on a zombie.

If you run out of ammo, Rule#1: Cardio.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You going to mount a Conanian tree swing'n spike bad@ssery to it? Or weld sabers of death to the wheels, ancient roman chariot style? Those Zombies have gotta DIE somehow. ;)

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Canadian trailer lid is done, I figured that I'd share a pic so you can get an idea of what I'm going for:

This lid is all aluminum and is very strong.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That's awesome dude :cool:

Since pintle hitches aren't DOT legal are you making it so you can swap between the ball and the pintle?

or

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT DOT?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Needs a Lock and Roll hitch or a rotating pintle for off road use, regular pintles are good to about 42-45 degress but thats it.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome dude :cool:

Since pintle hitches aren't DOT legal are you making it so you can swap between the ball and the pintle?

or

ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT DOT?

Dude... we can post "shit" here??? bad ass!

I'm not really worried about it but to answer your question, yes the tongue is designed to be "switchable".

Members online

No members online now.