exhaust-like smell at high RPM's with A/C on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I have A/C on, and if I have to suddenly go faster or get out of a ditch and rev the engine, I smell something like burning, coming out of vents.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this, or if you have the same thing? Higher the RPM smellier it gets..

Thanks.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds wierd.....If that is exhaust getting in somehow get it checked out FAST. ...CO2 will KILL you. Close the vents by using the recirculation mode with A/C.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only smells like exhaust, but I can tell the difference when I really have exhaust coming in (when reversing and A/C is ON). This smells like it is coming from the engine, from front. I can also sometimes see that windshield getting a little bit of cloud towards center, bottom, where the grill is .. If I have A/C on, that smell gets right in.

In winter I find myself using circulation almost all the time because in slow traffic all I smell is fumes..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not old at all, 04 with 26k on it.
It only happens when the RPM is over 4k or when I have to floor.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smells like burning!!

HMMM. :-k

I would check a couple things such as your Oil Filter, Radiator fluid, etc... Just to make sure there are no leaks. If your revving the engine without the A/C and it smells it could be something in regards to Oil, Air, Trans, etc...

OH, check your belt. The Serpentine belt is going to be working harder when the AC is on or when your running at a higher rpm. It may be slipping causing the burning smell.

"Does it smell like Cookies?"

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope no cookies for me [-(

After it sits the smell doesn't leave cabin, for example parking after hard drive and coming back to jeep, it smells like the plastic is hardening, you know when you melt piece of hard plastic and it gives out that weird smell after it hardens.. It is stingy but interesting because it is hard to pinpoint. The smell is there even if A/C is not blowing, but I guess it has no way of getting in the cabin, so it is much more subtle. I am assuming it is from somewhere up front, but where.. I cannot rev the engine at Park because jeep wont go above 4k. But might give it a try.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying you have already opened the hood, Ran the AC, and had someone rev the engine while looking for the area at question?

I mean the smell must still be there after you run it hard, so immediatley opening your hood should allow you find a near exact location of where the smell is coming from.

Did you run something over or is something caught up like a plastic bag or something? \:D/

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will check it out this afternoon. It is impossible that plastic bag can be there for such a long time. This is nothing new. Let's see if I get the smell after a hard drive..