EVIC question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I successfully installed my EVIC module this week :D I love all it's features and find it very handy (tho I still need a temperature sensor as I doubt it is -40 here in South Texas, lol.)

Anyway, I'm having just one minor issue with the console. When I use the EVIC to program my key fob settings (driver door unlock 1st, auto unlock on exit, etc.) the computer will keep the settings I programmed only for a little while. If I shut off the engine for more than a few seconds, the settings revert to default, like the computer "forgot" what I told it. However, it has no problem keeping track of average MPG, time to service, etc. between cycles.

My question is, does the EVIC have a backup battery that needs to be replaced? My EVIC unit was salvaged from an '02 WJ and I can get the part # if necessary. What might be causing this?

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having exactly the same problem as you.
The temperature sensor cost me about $50 at the dealer. I have since seen some on ebay for about $8, they are not original but supposedly work for Chrysler EVICS.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think the EVIC remebers these settings as you can program them without an EVIC, so the EVIC probably doesn't have a battery.
Have you tried the keyfob method of programming see if that sticks?
I'm going to give that a go.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about trying the keyfob to see if that sticks also. Let me know if it works for you. BTW, I got my temperature sensor from Autozone.com for $22, and it's the correct one for my 03 KJ- sounds like your stealership ripped you off.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went and checked and the kefob method seems to have worked. It was about 2 hours ago that I set it and it's still working. I'll see what happens in the morning.
I expect to get ripped off by the stealership, that's their purpose in life.
All I have to do now is get the tire pressure sensors installed.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news, the doors went back to unlock all together two days later. I'm taking the EVIC out to put a hands free unit in so I'll check for a battery in the EVIC. Maybe your right about the battery in the EVIC Sevenhelmut. Maybe it sends it's settings to the BCM when you turn on the ignition and if it's lost it's mind due to a flat battery it just sends default settings.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no battery in the EVIC. You guys just wired it up wrong most likely and it is not getting constant power.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the EVIC was supposed to only get power with the ignition ON??? That's what the all the info I have has indicated. Anyway, I figured out my lock/unlock preferences are getting wiped out somehow when I start the engine. Everything else works normally.

QUESTION FOR ALL WHO HAVE INSTALLED THEIR OWN AFTERMARKET EVIC:

What circuit does your EVIC draw power from (i.e. where did you run the blue/white wire to?) Mine is run to the rear window defroster circuit.

Last edited:

razzerx

Reaction score
I would grab power at the ign harness.

Red- 12v constant
Pink/Black -12v Constant
Red/Blue - Ign.

Attachments

• 03ign.jpg
    03ign.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 32

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definately a power issue. I'm drawing my power from the left leg of fuse #31. My dealership mechanic relocated it there when I described the same problem you are having. No problems since then.

BillsCountry

Reaction score
Kind of OT but didn't want to start a new thread...

I have a 2006 Liberty Sport that I am looking to install an EVIC in. This is my first post, but I have read countless threads providing great info on this subject.

In one particular thread I read that in order to have a temperature readout in the 2005+ Liberty, you have to use an 04+ EVIC. I also read that in order for TPMS to work, you have to install an EVIC from an 04 because later years used separate receivers besides the actual sensors. What I am wondering is if I install an EVIC from an 04 and do not install or want to use the TPMS feature, will the EVIC still be functional? I just really want the MPG, TRIP, and TEMP features. I just don't want the EVIC continuously chiming or something like that. Thanks.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the TPMS EVIC and have not fitted the sensors yet. All I get is a triple chime just after starting and a "Service Tire Pressure Monitoring System" message. After that you can select any parameter, but it will periodically return to the Tire Pressure display.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no battery in the EVIC. You guys just wired it up wrong most likely and it is not getting constant power.

I have the constant power wired to the diagnostic connector (pin 16) and ignition power wired to the cigarette lighter socket. I know it has constant power because I can press a HomeLink button and the display lights up with the ignition off.
You had any luck yet SevenHelmut?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't moved the wire yet. I'll get back to you when I have the time off from work to work on the KJ a bit.

mjash

Reaction score
It gets its constand power from the fused B+ pink wire. I am having the same issue. The Blue/While wire should only get power with the ignition on. Otherwise the evic would always be lit up, I think. I may try it just for S**** and grins. This is a very annoying problem! I just like things to work right!

Mark

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The settings that you're talking about (how doors unlock headlight on time etc) are not stored in the EVIC at all. The EVIC is just a means of telling the jeeps BCM to change a setting. The setting should be stored in the BCM. So while you can mess with power settings for your evic, and may be able to affect some things, the types of settings you're talking about wouldnt be affected.

-Blu

Denlevi

Reaction score
I would check your wiring again. It sounds like you do not have a constant power source to the EVIC. You need two sources of power. One constant power to the EVIC ( Pink wire) Fused B+ which you can tie into the #16 terminal wire on your Data Link Connector, and the other (Blue/white) to a keyed power source. I spliced into my Radio power for my keyed power source. My Evic has worked perfectly from the first time I turned it on.

Latest posts

Members online