EVIC/OTIS FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New KJ owner here! Within 48 hours of delivery, I had it at 11000ft. above sea level, romping through the snow atop Mt. Charleston here in NV.

Anyway, The only option that I really wanted but did not get in my Sport was either an EVIC or OTIS. I had one in my old Explorer and love having a compass and temp gauge in it. Doing the research, I found bits of information about installing an EVIC/OTIS here and there. Good stuff, but there is no concise guide that lists all of the models up to 2006, which vehicles were equipped with them, and what features each model has or does not have. If we can all pool this info together, I'll be happy to slap together a FAQ for the EVICs.

So here's what I have so far...
1. There is a great install page I found though the forums that has the model numbers up to 2004. Does anyone have the model numbers for 2005-2007?
2. If you have a 2004+ and want the temp to work, you need a 2004+ EVIC or OTIS. Can a 2002-2003 EVIC be wired with a separate thermostat?
3. What other DC vehicles had EVIC/OTISs that are compatible with the KJ? If so, what features work with each model?
4. Is the only difference with the 2002-2003 EVICs have to do with the thermostat? Do all of the other functions work properly?

I'm sure that I think of 10 other questions after I post this message. It seems that this is a hot topic with Sport owners and it would be great to have a FAQ that answers all of the questions in one place.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all those questions were answered in the write up, but maybe not. I may have just compiled them all through months of working on this thing.

As far as units go, I have never seen a part number listed for a post 04 EVIC, nor is it really necessary since they all work the same thereafter and interface with your BCM for their prompts. Getting a newer unit should have no effect on functionality, and will be damn near impossible to find since you just don't find as many later model cars in salvage yards or parted out. I went after and found the 56042756AJ unit which was the latest model and most fully featured one I knew of and I needed an 04+ unit to be able to use the temperature sensor my KJ already had built in. If you don't care about temperature and having the -- where it should read, then yes, everything else works if you put a pre-04 EVIC into an 04+. I know of no way you could use another temperature sensor to feed a pre-04 EVIC/OTIS the information since the temp sensor actually feeds it through the car. I would suggest you go with the EVIC anyway simply because they are a nicer unit and moreso for the ability to interface with the BCM and make changes rather than having to have the dealer do it and getting charged manhours.

The vehicles listed on the page is as extensive a list as I have been able to compile as well. I have heard of people going after OTIS units from a Durango before and claiming it worked, but that I have not substantiated it. I also know the Town and Country and Caravans have an OTIS, but I have never heard of anyone attempting to install those or even wanting to purchase one. All three of these vehicles may not even fit the same opening, though the OTIS core should be able to be swapped out into a smaller housing used in the recommended vehicles and work that way.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I found an OTIS from a 2002 Concorde LXi and the seller is including the temp sensor with it. Is this possible?

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I have everything I need to find and install an EVIC. Looks like finding one is more difficult than the install.

tjkobs7926

Reaction score
EVIC HELP!

I've been looking at installing the evic....jeepkj.com/evic

But I am still unsure about several things.
I contacted the dealership near my home...and they reluctently gave me the parts...and strongly sugjested I do not do this.
Sensor - 56042395 $38.50
Wiring - 56010441AG $1,220.00 (from headlights to dashboard)
Module - 56010438AD $312.00
Wiring - 4760644 $24.70 (for module)
Console - 1AR331L244 $275.00
Since my car is a 2004, I am pretty sure I don't need the sensor or the wiring that goes from the headlights to the dashboard. They are already there. But the module...the console and the module wiring I do need.
Correct? Is there anything else I need?
And then how do I install the wires into the module and then into the car?
I've found the data link connecter...but where does the blue wire go?
Is there not just a plug to put the wires into?
How is the EVIC installed when it comes on a liberty from the factory?
Any help is appreciated!

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Console? What is the console? Certainly they don't intend to charge that much just for the plastic piece that the EVIC module goes into - it is just a piece of plastic with readling lamps and (depending) sunroof controls in it.

If by wiring you mean the harness that plugs into the EVIC, then yes, you do need it. But if you already had that harness all you need is 30 feet worth of 16ga wire (4 wires x about 8 feet to run across the headliner and down the A-Pillar).

Why question whether you have the temp sensor or not? Just go look. Not only should it be totally obvious just from looking through your grille, but the instructions on the guide you reference even show you how to spot it.

You don't mention the mounting bracket...which is a part you must have. An 04 SHOULD have it already, as they removed them in 05 in KJs that did not come with the EVIC.

The blue/white wire going into the harness, as looking at it from the back of the harness with the release tab on top, goes on the far left, followed by the orange/black, pink and yellow/black. You run that whole mess of wires along the top of the windshield up under the headliner, down the A-Pillar and into the factory wiring down by the fuse panel. Pick up 18-22ga easy splice clips at Lowe's for 2 bucks and avoid making a mess of your wires.

No matter what, buying it from the stealership is just stupid. You can get the module/console and remnants of the pigtail for under 100 from a salvage yard, just call around. I found myself and Emydol one with relatively little work, and for cheap. Mine was an 04 with sunroof controls in the color I wanted with Homelink and TPMS rather easily and the yard was a total pleasure to deal with. They still had another 04 console in tan without sunroof controls and homelink, as well. Hers was a gray with Homelink and sunroof controls, as well, and may have TPMS. I need to check the part number on it. $60 shipped.

tjkobs7926

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

But I am a person who needs the reassurance...sorry.

I have read where people find them easy, but I am really having a hard time. I called 15 places within 50 or so miles from my home, and came up with nothing. I'd like to get one for cheap; neither eBay nor salvage yards are coming through.

Yes I found the temp sensor...it was covered in salt and mud, so I just wanted to make sure. This is why I crossed those parts off the list as well. As far as the mounting bracket...I've read where they are installed on the 04's so it was of no concern as it should already be there.

The console and module price is what it is...I will try and talk them down...I will also make some calls tomorrow to some more salvage yards. If anyone knows where there is one let me know. I want homelink/no tire pressure/with sunroof controls.

This still leaves me wondering where the blue/white wire goes in the car? The write up said find a blue/white wire, I am just curious where other folks have put them. Other then that I should be good.

Thanks for your help.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that is your problem...only calling local. I gave up on that in under an hour. I found these in Colorado and live in Metro DC. 2000 miles is nothing UPS can't traverse.

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Titan is right, you are going have to scour the country via computer and phone to find one. The chances of finding one in a local junkyard is a total crap shoot.

I have an EVIC from a 2005 coming from Wisconsin and I live 1500 miles away in Nevada.

Take your time, be diligent, and you will get one!

tjkobs7926

Reaction score
EVIC HELP!

Alright I will be hitting the phone tomorrow, and spread my search out!

One more thing....Do most people get the wires from the salvage yard as
well?

Thanks for all the help!

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it'***** and miss. If it is still in the vehicle, you can request them to cut the pigtail off with some wiring. If it's been in someone's inventory for a while, you never know. If mine shows up without it, I'm either going to go for a cheap eBay unit that will not work BUT has a pigtail, or hardwire the wiring into it.

I'll post an update when I receive the unit on Friday.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you found a salvage yard local to you, you could take the whole damn harness out all the way down behind the dash yourself. No junk yard is going to be willing to do that and ship it to you, though. Maybe if you pay them a lot extra, because that is more labor than they are willing to do, plus they will want to charge you for the extra parts, even though it is useless wire to them in the grand scheme of things. More than that, though: most of these places part out that stuff in advance, and have already cut the wiring harness at the most convenient spot for them...6 inches or so into the headliner, assuming you even get a harness pigtail with it. Not like you need it...buy some wire and do it yourself for a couple bucks.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scoobybri said:
I think it'***** and miss. If it is still in the vehicle, you can request them to cut the pigtail off with some wiring. If it's been in someone's inventory for a while, you never know. If mine shows up without it, I'm either going to go for a cheap eBay unit that will not work BUT has a pigtail, or hardwire the wiring into it.

I'll post an update when I receive the unit on Friday.

Buy a whole console on eBay just for the pigtail/connector?! Maaaan, is you guys' first Mopar or something? :) Mopar rocks and here is why! However, before you read on, feel free to go ahead and buy a Tan console with Liberty mounting bracket and the new sunroof controls and give the housing to me, or a Tan one without sunroof controls and I will cut a hole for it :)

Part # 05183472AA

MODULE-ELECTRONIC OVERHEAD (PREMIUM) - BLACK 6 WAY

CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
(Empty)

D25 20WT/VT
PCI BUS

A908 20RD
FUSED B(+)

Z13 20BK/WT
GROUND

F942 20BK/PK
FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)

(Empty)

That took me all of 2 minutes in my super secret manual to find ;)

scoobybri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....that part number does not come up in the Mopar parts catalog anywhere. Are you giving me a part number to order or are you giving me the pinout for the EVIC pigtail so I can rig something myself?

BTW...This IS my first Mopar product. I'm not familiar with the whole parts scene for Mopar. All I know is that Mazda has awesome support for those of us who race their products. Cough up 2 race results where you have raced any Mazda vehicle and you get OEM and Mazdaspeed racing parts (Mazdaspeed = SRT) and you get every single part from pistons to center consoles for COST. Too bad Mopar doesn't have a Jeep racing program like that ;)

PS Do you have the part number for the mounting bracket? Looking in the Collision catalog, I can't seem to find anything but a "Retainer" under the "Module" section of the Overhead Console section.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bracket is 5072348AA and runs like 17 bucks on makeitmopar.com. No, I am not giving you a pinout, that is a real part number, you just may need the dealer for them to find it. That is the exact part you need to plug into the EVIC and make a pigtail, as it will probably not have any wires in it. I can't really get a good look in mine to figure out what kind of pins you will need to cannibalize off another harness to be able to install your own wires, but it is also possible this harness number will come with the pins and a bit of wire...I really don't know. I just know what my book tells me in terms of the wiring diagram and "Package #" for that harness.

tjkobs7926

Reaction score
EVIC HELP!

I just have some tech questions about the EVIC.

1. Where does the PCI wire go in the car after I splice into it?

2. How does the temp sensor give the temp info to the EVIC?

3. Could installing this into the data link and the fuse box screw something else up in the car?

4. Now, my car says that the door is open in the odometor, will it continue to display that, or will it just show in the EVIC?

5. Will I have all the setting and features of the EVIC after I install?

Thanks for your help and time.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That EVIC connector part number I gave you IS good. I just had to check with a dealer about getting one myself and they found it with no problem. However, it is just the plastic, no pins, no wire, so they can tell and it's low price would allude to. It only costs 15 bucks and you aren't going to get much for that price from a dealership.

Latest posts

Members online