ESP/BAS & traction control light stays on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read everything about the sensors, so I am going to give a little back ground.
Just had tires rotated this week, and the wife tells me these lights just came on today when she was driving the jeep. I looked at the brakes and they are about due, and I also read to check the ABS sensors, and make sure they are clean and dirt free. so here is what I'm going to do this week, full brake replacement F/R brake shoes and rotors, plus cleaning the sensors, and checking for any broken wires ect. Plus when you start it up, everything checks out, but as soon as the jeep is moved a few feet, these two lights kick on and it chimes at me. Any suggestions or am I going the right way on troubleshooting this issue? This is for the following jeep
07 Jeep Liberty sport

Thanks for any suggestions.

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, for anyone who cares, I replaced all rotors, shoes, and greased everything that is brake related, it still did not fix the issue, while I was at that, I did a ohms reading on all the sensors, and they all checked out ok... so then my next direction was the clock spring that is located under the steering wheel. so I ordered one.. cost me 82.00, not to bad, and I replaced it tonight.. and problem is fixed.....

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear the clock spring fixed the problemo.
I am so glad I bought an 04 without those ESP/BS/ABS Traction control stuff though.
All this extra computerized/sensored stuff eventually add up to lights headaches and $.
The dealer has special scanners to read these components though, and my be more direct in pointing to these type or related warning lights.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting.. I've been fighting those same lights for a while now as well. They'll go away for a week, then come back for a week, its a vicious cycle..

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know your the feeling, what I did is I did a ohms resistance on each harness going to the wheel sensor, to check that area out, and since no ABS light is on, I determined that it was the clock spring. That would be my next area to check.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a spring in the steering wheel behind the air bag.
You must be registered for see images attach

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No edit button anymore????

Anyway, from wikipedia:

In vehicle steering systems a clock spring or clockspring is a spiral-wound special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices and the vehicle's electrical systems.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reccomend to measure the voltage on each single plug of the ABS sensors. It must read 12v. Just begin with the rear ones which are easier to access. Afterwards, you can also get codes with a escanner to read abs. The most common fault are sensors in bad conditions.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's a spring in the steering wheel behind the air bag.
You must be registered for see images attach

It isn't really a spring; it just looks like one because it's coiled.

DON'T go the extra turn the FSM calls for or your new clockspring will break.

Wheels straight, steering wheel straight, and clockspring pegged, centered, or blue showing in the little window.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If replacing the Clock Spring mark the position of your steering wheel with respect to the spline on the column with a punch so you do not go out by one spline when putting the wheel back on. Make sure you disconnect the battery and discharge any capacitance in the system by moving the Red Battery Lead to touch onto chassis for a few hours so as not to set off any airbags!

Members online

No members online now.