ESP/BAS Lights On - Help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help. I was just driving to pick up some BBQ this evening. 2 miles down the road, driving straight at 40 MPH. All of the sudden, I get a warning bell. Look down and see the ESP/BAS light and the Traction light on. I looked in the manual, and it says if the lights stay on after a few engine start/stop cycles, I need to take it in to the dealer. There is a problem with the system. Lights came back on after getting the BBQ on the way back home. Any one else ever have this happen? Any pointers on things to check? Any way to reset?

You must be registered for see images attach

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
What code is it putting out?
It's lack of communication with one of the wheel speed sensors.

At your height you may have stretched/broken/otherwise damaged a wheel speed sensor wire

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had those on as well as an ABS light, and it ended up being a speed sensor wire that was cut/chewed up.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd take a pic for ya, but mine doesn't have ABS/BAS/TC/ESP....

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure if you'll be able to pull a code from it since it's not your check engine light. I tried that once when my ABS light came on, and no dice.

x2 on checking your speed sensor wires (above rear differential).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Not sure if you'll be able to pull a code from it since it's not your check engine light. I tried that once when my ABS light came on, and no dice.

x2 on checking your speed sensor wires (above rear differential).

He MAY be able to get some body codes from the computer, but he's gonna need a code scanner to figure out which codes, and which sensor. '06 and '07 KJs are like really different animals.

But I had the same issue with my WK. ESP/BAS and Traction Control but NO ABS light.

Two things: Steering Angle Sensor, or Alignment.

Alignment fixed it. :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't be able to pull a code easily, and none of the store-bought scanners can either.

My guess? Right rear ABS harness. Mine crapped out at....40k miles ;) Look on LOST, other people had theirs crap out too.

I've been meaning to do a How-To with pics, but haven't had a chance yet. Basically, I bought a new end connector kit from Chrysler ($14) and then ran new wiring up into the passenger cabin, under the rear seat, where I spliced into the OEM harness. Cleared it right up.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump. Anyone?

Took it to AutoZone and they read codes. No codes. Checked all of the wheel speed sensor wires from each wheel all the way to main harness. All wires look good. I guess it may be time to use that unlimited month/mileage bumper-to-bumper that they gave me as incentive to buy my KJ... I'd say this one may be worth the $50 deductible...

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's $50, I'd just take it in.

Like I said, Autozone will not be able to scan it.

Also, you may not see a physical "break" in the wire - I didn't and other folks didn't.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You should have said the words "Warranty". :) Take it in. The fix is going to cost more than the $50 deductible. (After parts, labor, etc...)

DRBIII will definitely read the codes. Of course, only dealers have this lil tool.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I am curious to see what they find out. I have had my ABS/ESP/Trac Ctrl lights on (along with no cruise) for about a year and a half now ever since deep snow wheeling. I've replaced both rear wheel speed sensors and just yesterday replaced my front hubs that came with new abs sensors.

Lights are still on... ugh.

I broke down an ordered a scanner than can do both OBD2 and ABS codes that should be arriving today. I hope I can finally narrow it down.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... Problem solved. Strange reason for error lights. I had gotten an alignment at Firestone about a month ago. Over last weekend, my KJ started pulling to the right pretty bad. (I did not link this to the ESP/BAS error at the time) Anyway, Monday AM, I took my KJ back in to Firestone (a different location that happened to be closer to my work office) to have them re-align since it started pulling. The mechanic put it up on the rack, and found that the driver side toggle bolts for the LCA were both loose - like so loose that they must have never been tightened down when the alignment was initially done. So he aligned it and got all the specs almost dead center in the middle of the acceptable ranges. So I drive it on in to work from there. Then I go for my lunch break and the error lights are gone. And they have yet to come on again. So somehow, the extreme misalignment from the loose toggle bolts is what was causing the ESP/BAS error light to come on. I would not have thought of that one. But at least it is fixed.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
It's because the wheel was telling the Jeep it was going straight while the Jeep knew it wasn't going straight, or the Jeep knew it was going straight but the steering wheel told it otherwise.

Pretty common, really.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update... Problem solved. Strange reason for error lights. I had gotten an alignment at Firestone about a month ago. Over last weekend, my KJ started pulling to the right pretty bad. (I did not link this to the ESP/BAS error at the time) Anyway, Monday AM, I took my KJ back in to Firestone (a different location that happened to be closer to my work office) to have them re-align since it started pulling. The mechanic put it up on the rack, and found that the driver side toggle bolts for the LCA were both loose - like so loose that they must have never been tightened down when the alignment was initially done. So he aligned it and got all the specs almost dead center in the middle of the acceptable ranges. So I drive it on in to work from there. Then I go for my lunch break and the error lights are gone. And they have yet to come on again. So somehow, the extreme misalignment from the loose toggle bolts is what was causing the ESP/BAS error light to come on. I would not have thought of that one. But at least it is fixed.
Your steering angel sensor was confused,hence the lights.

Latest posts

Members online