ERROR message in odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptesco

Reaction score
I replaced the battery and cable ends on my wife's 2008 Liberty. Since replacing the battery she has had an ERROR message where the odometer reading should be. She has driven it this way for a couple thousand miles and it has not changed. Is there a way to reset this error message. She tried the key turning on and off exercise without results. Unfortunately I'm not there at the moment to try myself. Any Suggestions?
Randy

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to make me sound like a Microsoft Windows tech support person, but have you tried disconnecting the battery, letting it sit for 10 minute or so, then reconnecting it? That resets things like the engine light. Maybe it will fix your issue.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to make me sound like a Microsoft Windows tech support person, but have you tried disconnecting the battery, letting it sit for 10 minute or so, then reconnecting it? That resets things like the engine light. Maybe it will fix your issue.

[YT]nn2FB1P_Mn8[/YT]

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is not funny. I work in IT and DAMN are people stupid with computers sometimes! :pp: :rofl:

Wilsons88

Reaction score
Exact same problem following a battery jump start. How did you get the ERROR to disappear? Please post what worked.

SiRRuS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same problem following a battery jump start. How did you get the ERROR to disappear? Please post what worked.

Not sure if this will work on yours, but you can try it

Push in the odometer reset button and turn the ignition from off to on 3 times and if your engine light was on it will give you the code numbers. Write them down and look the numbers up in a manual or online

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
(I do not know the exact answer, but that never stopped me before.)

Here in Cuyahoga County, Ohio they make us take this ridiculous e-Check test every time we renew our registration. They don't test any actual emissions, they just check to see if the onboard computer is reporting any problems.

People caught on that if their "Check Engine" light was on and they disconnected the battery for a few minutes they could get it to go out for for long enough to get through the test. You'd see them in the parking lot at the e-Check station with the hood up, then they would go through the line to get their "passed" receipt.

The upshot is that they now test to see if the onboard computer was reset due to a battery "failure", ("failure" being defined as Roscoe unhooking it for five minutes right before taking the test), or if it was properly reset after maintenance on the vehicle, etc.

I suspect that if there is nothing else wrong with the Jeep, having the dealer clear the programming will take care of the problem. Like I said to begin with, this is just a hunch. :)

EDIT: It took me a while to type that. I would definitely try what SiRRuS said before paying the dealer to do anything. :D

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
They just changed all the testing here to. They don't even hook up to the smog machines now. It's all based on stored data.

HazconJokc

Reaction score
odometer "error" fix retrospect

Due to a bad battery, my wife had to have her Jeep Liberty(KK2008) jumped. I tested the battery, when she got home. It was charging to 9 volts. The alternator tries to charge to 12 volts (output is 14.8VDC), under normal conditions, the voltage regulator compensates for the over voltage situation, however, there must be a problem somewhere in this system that is causing the eeprom in the cluster to be be toasted when the battery goes under voltage. At any rate, as soon as she opened the door, she noticed the "error" and called me. Since it wasn't affecting the operation of the vehicle, I had her drive it on home. I bought a new battery for it and installed it.
I wound up taking it to a dealer and having the cluster replaced. It cost me a total of $420, including diagnostics and reprogramming. Having to purchase my own programmer, with no guarantee it would work for the KK, and getting the cluster myself would have cost more than a total $500.
At any rate I'm assuming that's what you had to do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online