error codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an '04 renegade. i looked at 112 pages of stuff on here in the last couple hours. i havent been able to find out how to get these codes : / could someone help me out

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put your key in the ignition. Turn the key from the "off" position to "on" position 3 times without starting the Jeep, ending with the key in the on position. Codes should pop up on your odometer.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you did it right and nothing pops up, your good!

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are the problems with my libby. the speedometer doesnt work, all the fuses are good i tested them today and replace them with the correct fuses. and my front cig lighter doesnt work, idk. these are the error codes i got at work today while sitting in my car instead of going to the motor pool (brainstorming the next projects to do lol got a list of about 30 different things to work on) here's the codes: 0501 and 0137

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The check engine light is most likely due to the P0137. That code is for the post cat O2 sensor. Not a huge concern as it will not affect engine performance at all. The P0501 is for the speed control sensor. A quick search on the net came up with this. Hope it helps:

Vehicle Application: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L

Customer Concern: No speedometer or odometer operation. Sets code P0501.
Tests/Procedures: 1. Using a compatible scan tool, check the vehicle speed signal in the Body Control Module (BCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If differences are seen, check the Light Green/Yellow signal wire between the controllers, the PCM puts out a 5v to the BCM and it pulses it to ground.

2. Check the signal wires to the BCM, the Pink/Orange is the supply to the sensor and the Dark Green/Orange is the signal wire.

Potential Causes: Body Control Module (BCM)
Instrument Cluster (IC)
Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
Wiring Harness

Tech Tips: If the vehicle is not equipped with ABS brakes, the speed sensor is wired directly to the BCM. Test for battery voltage on the Yellow wire to the speed sensor. This voltage comes from the BCM. The other wire is the signal wire and should have a square wave signal, with the vehicle moving.

Diagnostic Codes: P0501

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bought checking the wire harness over the rear diff first seams to be some what of a common fault and easy to check.

tpd310228

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bought checking the wire harness over the rear diff first seams to be some what of a common fault and easy to check.

are you able to get a pic of this? im kinda....slow... when it comes to this mechanical stuff haha. everything i've done to my jeep is learning as i go, learning from mistakes and learning from these forums ;)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To late to go out and take a pic now but if you get under the rear of your Jeep look on top of the the big pig in the middle of your rear axle follow the only wire harness that goes to it and check the wires and plug.
Hope this helps as something to check maybe someone else has a pic.

Last edited:

J33pfxGl

Reaction score
I got a code of P0113 last night out of the blue on my 2005 Liberty. Any ideas on why?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
P0133 is O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 (ie drivers side - pre cat). Most likely need a new O2 sensor. Unfortunately that one is a *^&$^* to reach.

Good Luck!

J33pfxGl

Reaction score
Thanks Luke,

I will try it. Hopefully it works!

Ps I have the Dark Khaki Liberty too...best color!

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to thread hi-jack. So I tried this earlier this afternoon. After cycling the ignition....i get a message which says "DONE" then it seems to flash every 3-5 seconds.

No codes came up.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It's just tellin you it has performed the check and has no codes to give you ... or it has given you the last code in sequence.. Hooray!

bluzchk66

Reaction score
Hi there...I have NO idea how to start a new thread here..have looked and looked but can't find the new post place....I came up with engine codes P0839, p0740 and p0706...auto mechanic says it needs a new ****** but I am having my doubts....anybody else out there deal with this? Its an 04 Jeep Liberty Columbia edition with 162k on it...Thanks for your help!