Error Code: P2302

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the past week I have had some problems where I feel a stutter when the KJ shifts at the 40-50mph range while keeping the RPM's at 2K. The stutter has been really bad over the last day or two, making the KJ shake. I figured that I could give it to the weekend before checking out however...........

As I was accelerating onto the x-way I hit the 40-45MPH range and bam the RPM's dropped down to near 1K and the whole jeep shook like crazy. It was bad enough that I quickly pulled over to the side. The engine light immediately came on but I put it in park and sat for about 1 minute. When traffic was clear I started up again and there was no trembling as it shifted through the 40-50mph range. I still have the check engine light and the code that it is spitting is:

P2302 Ignition Coil #1 Secondary Circuit-insufficient Ionization :confused:

What the heck is this code? I am about to leave to the lady's place so I'll post something later tonight with information on the stutter/shaking (if its still there). I believe it would be still so I'm leaving it up to you to tell me what this problem is. Or at least until tomorrow when I can get this taken care of.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Check the wires going to ignition coil #1. See if they're nice and tight and not frayed or rubbing against something.

Pull the coil off (might want to unplug it first...) and check to see if there's debris or corrosion inside. Oh and see if the rubber seal is deteriorating.

Last edited:

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked. I bought an ignition coil ($35.99) from the dealership this past weekend and installed it. Jeep does not hesitate anymore and actually has better pick up. Woot!

DamnYankee

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact problem on my son's 2005 3.7L Liberty. My question is, how do you determine what Ignition Coil(s) is/are the problem? I watched a youtube video to see how to fix and it looks pretty easy, but there are 6 IG Coils, and I'm wondering how to narrow it down to the bad one(s). Thanks!