engine tick - hot or cold -- exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 3.7 with 226,000 miles

this developed last summer after a hard weekend of camping.
but then went away after a while...? or maybe i just wasnt hearing it with the windows up.
well its back...
thought it was the driver cat converter rattling...replaced both sides, and the driver did have the core lose and looked clogged on the inlet side.

but the tick remains

i am wondering now if the manifold has a leaking gasket, is cracked, or has a broken bolt.

is it common for the 3.7s to break manifold bolts like the 4.7 v8 big brothers?

also, i had to re-use the v-band clamps on the catalytic converter. the ones i bought were too large...could the clogged converter have cause a leak here? hard to imagine it would stay the exact same sounding with the new converter and old clamps...

the noise is the same and consistent through out the engine range, it is a steady sound. so i am sure it is the exhaust.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya I cant say for sure how common the 3.7's break manifold bolts or cracked exhaust gaskets, but it seems a lot of us have the tick going on that seems to come & go.
Even My jeep has me wondering now too. Is this a PP design IDK.
Considering how hot things get under the hood and the multiple cycles of expansions and contractions take place, all I know is It's cheaper to turn the stereo up Loud! :)

mduclow

Reaction score
a tic is usually a small exhaust leak at the head/manifold or hydraulic lifter(s)

Given what you said I would assume exhaust leak first.

But to check for a ticking lifter, put a screwdriver, bit end down, on the valve cover and put the handle end to your ear, if you "hear it better" it's a lifter on that side, if you don't check the other side and if nothing then its probably an exhaust leak.

EDIT: wait, are these 3.7's overhead cam engines? If so it wouldn't be a lifter it would be the rocker arm got a bit loose and is ticking.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A mechanical stethoscope is recommended over the long screwdriver for helping to identify an exhaust tick.
The stethoscope can also allow listening directly from cover for a noisy lifter/rocker.
A stuck lifter can cause a rocker to come off. Keep your oil clean !!
3.7 Considered a SOHC one cam per side.

Attachments

• stethoscope .jpg
    stethoscope .jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 1

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried those tactics ended up never being able to find the issue. Replaced the engine...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know broken exhaust manifold bolts were common on the .7 engines. We have a 3.7, 4.7 and 5.7, no issues with any of them. Actually never had an exhaust bolt/stud issue on any vehicle.

The ticking is, however, common. Often times its a lifter/lash adjuster.