engine stall 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
My engine has stalled on me twice in the last month. It doesn't choke or anything. The RPMs just slowly eases down to 0. The computer doesn't register any faults and it starts up again with no problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas what could be the cause? (Aeh)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yep.....a few years ago...when it got really cold..that happened....
i usually let it warm up till it goes near half (or normal operating temps)

last year it didnt happen at all...only that one year...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked your spark plugs lately? Could be your IAC sensor if it only does it at idle. Tps could cause that too.

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
The spark plugs were last check about 3 months ago. They're ok. You'll have to excuse me, but what is a IAC sensor & a TPS?

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine Dies

MTL_Liberty said:
The spark plugs were last check about 3 months ago. They're ok. You'll have to excuse me, but what is a IAC sensor & a TPS?

IAC = Idle Air Control motor which is controlled by signals from the PCM,

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

You might want to check for carbon buildup just in side the intake before the IAC valve, carbon built up there even ever so slight will cut off air to the engine causing it to die. Use some carb cleaner and a toothbrush, if any buildup is found. The reason it usually happens at a stop is because the engine is already at low RPM's, and it does not take much to cutoff what little air it needs.

P.S. problems caused by the IAC or TPS will usually throw a code.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be throwing a code, thats the only weird thing. Dont want you running around like a chicken with your head cut off, but a good can of stp cleaner in the gas couldnt hurt things.

Valvoline makes a good cleaner too for the fuel system. its good to put it in there every few oil changes anyway.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yeah mine was stalling shifting into drive from reverse....hot or cold engine....and i don't throw it into drive like alot of people when you're still rollin 10mph in reverse....I STOP before I change gears. Started the stalling once, then like 2 days later it started it again and kept doing it. Couldn't feel or hear the RPM's dropping, but I could feel the steering lock up...which at first led me to believe the power steering pump had gone bad or something. I had an appointment the next day at the dealer anyways for a free oil change, so I mentioned to them. It was, and still is, under warranty, so any problems should be fixed with no issues. They kept it most of the morning, brought me home in their shuttle (I live 30-45 minutes away from my dealer), and came and picked me back up again, after calling me first to tell me what they found, and what their plans to "fix it" were. Afetr I gave them the go ahead, they sent the shuttle back out to get me again, and had it ready and waiting for me when I got there. All i had to do was go in and get my keys back and i was on my way. Very impressed with how the dealer treated me and the fact THEY ACTUALLY GOT IT FIXED RIGHT ON THE FIRST TRY!!!! I know its hard to believe for a DCX dealer, but they got it! This particular dealer has been around for about 80 years, so I think they know a thing or two by now...LOL.

You might run it by auto zone and see just for kicks if it is really throwing a code, and for some reason, not tripping the light to come on. Its all computerized, so it's very much possible. Autozone will scan it for free usually and if there is a problem, they'll tell you. Where as, the dealer, will more than likely chrage you a boatload to do the same thing.

Notice any funny noises as you notice the RPM's slowly dropping? Like squeeling or the alike?

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
Is it an 02 model, could be the TSB related issue, mine still does it at 40K and its done it sice new.

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
Hi Tim. When the engine stalls, I didn't hear or feel anything. If it wasn't for the Tachometer, (and that I wasn't moving when I pressed the gas) I wouldn't have known it had stalled.
If this tripped a fault, wouldn’t the on off X3 diagnostic test indicate a code?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Yeah mine was stalling shifting into drive from reverse....hot or cold engine....and i don't throw it into drive like alot of people when you're still rollin 10mph in reverse....I STOP before I change gears. Started the stalling once, then like 2 days later it started it again and kept doing it. Couldn't feel or hear the RPM's dropping, but I could feel the steering lock up...which at first led me to believe the power steering pump had gone bad or something. I had an appointment the next day at the dealer anyways for a free oil change, so I mentioned to them. It was, and still is, under warranty, so any problems should be fixed with no issues. They kept it most of the morning, brought me home in their shuttle (I live 30-45 minutes away from my dealer), and came and picked me back up again, after calling me first to tell me what they found, and what their plans to "fix it" were. Afetr I gave them the go ahead, they sent the shuttle back out to get me again, and had it ready and waiting for me when I got there. All i had to do was go in and get my keys back and i was on my way. Very impressed with how the dealer treated me and the fact THEY ACTUALLY GOT IT FIXED RIGHT ON THE FIRST TRY!!!! I know its hard to believe for a DCX dealer, but they got it! This particular dealer has been around for about 80 years, so I think they know a thing or two by now...LOL.

You might run it by auto zone and see just for kicks if it is really throwing a code, and for some reason, not tripping the light to come on. Its all computerized, so it's very much possible. Autozone will scan it for free usually and if there is a problem, they'll tell you. Where as, the dealer, will more than likely chrage you a boatload to do the same thing.

Notice any funny noises as you notice the RPM's slowly dropping? Like squeeling or the alike?

What did they end up doing?

2003KJ

Reaction score
MTL_Liberty said:
Hi Tim. When the engine stalls, I didn't hear or feel anything. If it wasn't for the Tachometer, (and that I wasn't moving when I pressed the gas) I wouldn't have known it had stalled.
If this tripped a fault, wouldn’t the on off X3 diagnostic test indicate a code?

It might do the trick. How many miles do you have on your Jeep? I'm also starting to wonder if like somebody else posted previously the IAC is shot, since you mention it only does it at idle. Might try having that sensor tested to see what the deal is. Do you have a FSM? (Factory Service Manual)

What did they end up doing?

They ended up flashing the PCM, updating it with some sort of software that needed to be updated. All is well now, and it's been just about a year since the incident.

MTL_Liberty

Reaction score
I have 60000 miles on it. A side from this issue, it runs great. I have a FSM. The problem is that there are quite a few sensors that control the IAC. Where to start?

copenhagen6

Reaction score
Stalling

My 02 liberty was doing the exact same thing. I took it in and had it hooked to the computer and it did not show any code malfunction. The fact that it does not throw a code tells you that it is something not controled by a sensor, usually.
I changed my fuel filter, the jeep has not stalled since.

I posted a short report on how that little job went. I think it is in the how to section. Read the whole thread before you start.

Latest posts

Members online