Engine Performance Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetsnake

Reaction score
I’m curious to know if there are any recommended mods that can easily be done to help increase HP/Torque/responsiveness. Or would money be better spent on driveline improvements. Just kinda curious.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The oem air filter box work very well, you might pick up a few extra HP with a less restrictive exhaust.
I spent my $$ on an OME 927/948 spring lift with JBA 4.5 upper control arms etc. It rides now like a smooth sports truck!
What drive line improvements are you referring to? Re-Gear or aluminum drive shaft etc?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Doing quality lift and larger tires then a regear
Then enjoy , Libertys will never be confused with a HP Mustang , not what they are built for

streetsnake

Reaction score
Then enjoy , Libertys will never be confused with a HP Mustang , not what they are built for
Yep. You’re exactly correct. I
The oem air filter box work very well, you might pick up a few extra HP with a less restrictive exhaust.
I spent my $$ on an OME 927/948 spring lift with JBA 4.5 upper control arms etc. It rides now like a smooth sports truck!
What drive line improvements are you referring to? Re-Gear or aluminum drive shaft etc?
gotcha. I have all the lift goodies coming. I was thinking gearing and lockers. i Probably wouldn’t go that route as we don’t have a lot of good off-road spots here. I’ve heard the magnaflow is the correct exhaust if we ever get an aftermarket one. :)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know?..some jack'a'nerple on fb told me my kj was more mustang than jeep? I seem to remember you've mentioned running a small tube from airbox to behind grill? Worth doin? Details on setup?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

gotcha. I have all the lift goodies coming. I was thinking gearing and lockers. i Probably wouldn’t go that route as we don’t have a lot of good off-road spots here. I’ve heard the magnaflow is the correct exhaust if we ever get an aftermarket one. :)
Magnaflow does well, sounds good plus the fact you can still talk to people riding with you
some like flowmaster have a real loud drone at highway speeds

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know?..some jack'a'nerple on fb told me my kj was more mustang than jeep? I seem to remember you've mentioned running a small tube from airbox to behind grill? Worth doin? Details on setup?
Just a piece of 3 inch flexible tube from left side of the grill ( looking at the Jeep from the front ) running back into the airbox with hole cut into the airbox in front
Not sure how much it helps but I do know when you rev it up with hand over the end of the hose you can feel it suc king the air in
On the 03 since I don't do very deep water crossing any more , the hose goes down through the hole where the washer bottle was, to just behind the bumper
04 comes through grill

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I run Trutracs front and rear in the 03
The 04 I have had a mixture of ARB/Trutrac, both ends Trutrac etc
stay away from lunch box lockers ,

Blue Gen

Reaction score
I’m curious to know if there are any recommended mods that can easily be done to help increase HP/Torque/responsiveness. Or would money be better spent on driveline improvements. Just kinda curious.
What about a Jeep Liberty Performance Chip? Vortex..ck online. ? Might be BS ?

NavyStore

Reaction score
I added a K&N Intake to mine, and the performance was night and day! No dyno results, but the launch when you hit the gas is instantaneous and she's gone from slug to jack rabbit, but I did lose about 1MPG overall. I didn't need to go overboard on mods, (I flat tow it behind my RV and daily driver to work) but this was just what I needed to get out of my neighborhood and onto the nearby State Highway.

Davo1

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on a throttle controller to improve the engine responsiveness ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I added a K&N Intake to mine, and the performance was night and day! No dyno results, but the launch when you hit the gas is instantaneous and she's gone from slug to jack rabbit, but I did lose about 1MPG overall. I didn't need to go overboard on mods, (I flat tow it behind my RV and daily driver to work) but this was just what I needed to get out of my neighborhood and onto the nearby State Highway.

One of the best airfilter according to many tests over the years is NAPA GOLD filter
One of the worst , K&N , They are great for short runs like on dragsters etc , but longevity, no
Just a word of advice

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Snorkel and Apollo intake got my wife cussing first time she drove mine after installation. Not much different than her stock, but noticeable. Disclaimer, this set up requires religious preventative maintenance so is not for everyone.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Anytime you do a mod to any vehicle it reacts like its completely changed
On KJs just remove both battery cables, tie them together for 30-40 minutes
hook them back up, pull out on the road and drop the hammer
You'll swear it has 100 more HP , it will stay that way for a while then it relearns
you're driving habits
I used to have to drive downtown Columbus ( Ohio ) daily
Before any trip I'd do that and it ran a whole lot better
But was it in my head or ??? LOL

KKinTexas

Reaction score

I have a Gibson exhaust. Better sound, no drone. Felt a little better off the line, but it's a Chysler 3.7. Dependable, not a racer.

Dutchman61

Reaction score
I now have a Jasper Engine and Jasper transmission in mine. Will be putting in different fuel injectors which are different than the factory ones. But not until I can put a 3 inch duel exhaust with headers on it. when I connected the original exhaust, the engine sounded like it was being choked. So it is rather lod now but it literally launches when I stand on it and it shifts to 2nd gear. I have changed out the Stock air cleaner for a doubled cold air flow set up. Took the insulation off of the hood and cut in vents in the Hood for good air flow. I will have pics up very soon.

Latest posts

Members online