Engine code......light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
I got this engine code today p0158...Oxygen sensor voltage problem - short circuit to active 12V?

does anyone know what the problem is, and what i have to do to fix it? thanks alot.....this liberty is becoming nothing but a pain in the ass.....

xxdazxx

Reaction score
boy all lookers today and no reply's common people help a pissed off jeep owner fix this problem before i drive this thing into a telephone pole.

2003KJ

Reaction score
First thing I would verify is that no wires going to the o2 sensors have been cut, frayed, or damaged in any other way (causing the short). It's not uncommon for a wire to maybe rub against the exhaust, which would in turn melt it over time, causing it to short out. Haven't heard of that happening on the KJ just yet, but I do hear it a lot on other Jeeps.

When I looked up P0158 I got "O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)"

Bank 2 Sensor 2 is going to be the downstream sensor on the passenger side of the exhaust.

If you'll go to this thread right here, you'll see a description of the o2 sensors that I posted straight out of my factory service manual for another member who was having problems before with an oxygen sensor. You'll also see the picture in there that shows you where the two downstream sensors are.

Hope that helped!

xxdazxx

Reaction score
thanks alot!

hey man thanks a lot, ill get under it tomarrow and check the wires, and if they are ok ill change the sensor. thanks a lot again for the help!

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would verify is that no wires going to the o2 sensors have been cut, frayed, or damaged in any other way (causing the short). It's not uncommon for a wire to maybe rub against the exhaust, which would in turn melt it over time, causing it to short out. Haven't heard of that happening on the KJ just yet, but I do hear it a lot on other Jeeps.

When I looked up P0158 I got "O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)"

Bank 2 Sensor 2 is going to be the downstream sensor on the passenger side of the exhaust.

If you'll go to this thread right here, you'll see a description of the o2 sensors that I posted straight out of my factory service manual for another member who was having problems before with an oxygen sensor. You'll also see the picture in there that shows you where the two downstream sensors are.

Hope that helped!

I think you meant KK there. The wires to bank 1 sensor 2 got knocked out of the clip that's supposed to hold them away from the exhaust on my KJ and I was getting high and low voltage error codes for it. That would be the first thing I'd look for. Oh and thanks for that diagram also! That's how I found this site in the first place... Did a Google search for the error codes that I was getting and that thread was #1 in the results! :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
I think you meant KK there. The wires to bank 1 sensor 2 got knocked out of the clip that's supposed to hold them away from the exhaust on my KJ and I was getting high and low voltage error codes for it. That would be the first thing I'd look for. Oh and thanks for that diagram also! That's how I found this site in the first place... Did a Google search for the error codes that I was getting and that thread was #1 in the results! :)

I meant KJ.....does the orig. poster have a KK?.....I was just assuming KJ...lol :confused:

Oh and you're welcome for the diagram.....one of these days now that i've got a few better tools of capturing pictures, I'm gonna get around to updating that thread to make it easier to read.

Latest posts

Members online