Emblem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions on where to find black 3D emblems to replace the factory silver (now graying) ones on an '02 KJ? Have tried every internet query I can think of to no avail.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen them on eBay. :). Or you could use Plastidip, Duplicolor Custom Wrap, or any of the spray on removable aerosole rubber paints to color your badges.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emblems are the only things I've ever Plasti Dipped and it's never came off
It looks great, my old Grand Prix had it for 3 years before it got totaled without ever touching it up
The KJ has it done as well and has had it for about a year with zero wear or fading

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Never considered those options - thanks!

Technical details - carefully remove the existing emblem, plasti dip them then replace? What type of adhesive do you use?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Carefully remove the old ones, and then leave them all off , much better looking

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all my emblems plasti dipped. Been over a year. Zero peeling, tears, chips, fading. Still look like the day they were sprayed (My flares are a different story [faded, stained, graying)
But the emblems, still perfect.

You don't have to remove/replace, that's the main reason I dipped them as I have gold ones laying around.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CEgwCg&usg=AFQjCNEQTX2AdNndWdrtOvD4pdQYrj1qJQ

Guys a total oddball.. his voice is annoying.. he sprays it wrong, it texture is way off.... you don't have to use a screwdriver like he does.. easier ways..
but it gives you a picture of the whole thing so you don't have to visualize.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple way to do it (which I'm sure is what the above vid shows, poorly) is border the emblem with painters tape about an inch away and go to town
Once dry, start picking a corner with your finger and it'll peel right off and perfectly etch around the emblem
Then you can take a toothpick and pick away at the dip that's in between the letters (if you get overspray, a microfiber towel will take all of it off)

Gunner, I did my fenders as well and it looked great until rocks would hit the inner fender and peel it off from inside out... going down the highway and I see black rubber flying in the wind, so I peeled it all off
Better to just get a nice bedliner (I'm not a fan of the aggressive looking bedliner though) or professionally painted with black automotive paint IMO
I did my wheels as well and they held up good, looked great if you sprayed tire shine all over the tire/wheel but looked awful when dry

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy. And that stuff is more forgiving than paint. The plasti dip is a little tougher brand, but some, myself included, like the look of the Duplicolor custom wrap a little better. Rustoleum makes the Peal Coat brand too. Buy some and try it on something! :)

okiestate_gal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohhhh!! Sweet! It sounds way easier than I thought!
Thanks a million!

There's probably a thread around on this, but on the topic of painting the rims, what's best to use there? Was worried about it chipping but saw someone around town that had done it and it looked decent.

RENEGADE Concept

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can keep it simple and use the same stuff to paint your rims!

There are all kinds of YouTube instructional videos to help. :)

Last edited:

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine on fleabay

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastic grocery bag around rotor/brakes and that's it
Once you're done you can peel off what was sprayed on the sidewall and it'll cut around the wheel
But after a couple months (sooner possibly) you'll have to continually touch all of them up because they start to look gray, probably from brake dust and such
Maybe look at doing a black vinyl wrap for the wheels so it doesn't fade instead and keep the PlastiDip for the emblems

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple way to do it (which I'm sure is what the above vid shows, poorly) is border the emblem with painters tape about an inch away and go to town
Once dry, start picking a corner with your finger and it'll peel right off and perfectly etch around the emblem
Then you can take a toothpick and pick away at the dip that's in between the letters (if you get overspray, a microfiber towel will take all of it off)

Gunner, I did my fenders as well and it looked great until rocks would hit the inner fender and peel it off from inside out... going down the highway and I see black rubber flying in the wind, so I peeled it all off
Better to just get a nice bedliner (I'm not a fan of the aggressive looking bedliner though) or professionally painted with black automotive paint IMO
I did my wheels as well and they held up good, looked great if you sprayed tire shine all over the tire/wheel but looked awful when dry

Yeah I had that issue with my FR flare.. I thought they were the bee's knees until winter rolled around and dominated my dipped flares lol..
I have some spare raptor liner I've been waiting to spray on all my trim, I just haven't felt like staying after work much lately.. Usually just got a car sprayed and it's baking when I get out so I say screw it some other time lol.
I've stayed a couple times after in the past week, but always ends up being mustang related
The jeep things always end up being fall projects..