Electronic throtle control problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr bod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help please,
my 2007 crd has a fault light on the etc :shrug:.
Had this problem about 20 months ago but the mech' who fixed it under warranty has left the building ( tpo-total p'd off ).
my light came on yesterday morning put the code reader on it show's no fault code. symtoms are turn the engine over starts fine after about 10 sec's the fault light comes on. she drive's like normal, no limp home mode, she idle's at 760 rpm.
No i did not start it with the brake peddle pressed.

any help please was going to take it to ths airport this weekend to fly to florida but unless this is sorted out looks like the train bummer.

Please help .......

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help please,
my 2007 crd has a fault light on the etc :shrug:.
Had this problem about 20 months ago but the mech' who fixed it under warranty has left the building ( tpo-total p'd off ).
my light came on yesterday morning put the code reader on it show's no fault code. symtoms are turn the engine over starts fine after about 10 sec's the fault light comes on. she drive's like normal, no limp home mode, she idle's at 760 rpm.
No i did not start it with the brake peddle pressed.

any help please was going to take it to ths airport this weekend to fly to florida but unless this is sorted out looks like the train bummer.

Please help .......

There must surely be a code stored....maybe need to try a different code reader? Is there no record at the Dealer of what was done 20 months ago to clear the light.?

mr bod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply Billwill,
Last night plug the code reader in and took it for a drive about 30 miles with the reader still plugged in, still showing "no code stored" pulled over and turned everything off (about to phone the Rac- Royal auto' club) thought i'll get closer to home first. started her up and hay pressto no flashing red light,
let her run for about 5 mins' still no red light.
so switched her off waited about 5 mins started her up again no fault light, drove her home with no problems.
My head is in the shed over this one, will try her on the school run this morning to see if it plays up again (hopefully not).
To answer your question Billwill, the mach' left the dealership and took all his notes with him just hope he reads this post and gets in touch (fingers crossed).
Billwill i thank you for you time to reply to my post.
ATB
Alan.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at last had a code P0146, 02 sensor circuit no activity (bank1 censor 3)
just got to understand what it means now.
any help please

I doubt that is the right answer....that sounds like V6 petrol motor to me.:disgust:

I will have a look in my codes to see if I can find a diesel related answer to P0146!

EDit to add: My list shows the same description. Lostjeep.com, diesel section, has quite a few posts on the P146 error..might be worth your while looking there for some help!

Last edited:

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this one this way. Hope it helps.

I usually break it down to components that are related to the engine type(in this case CRD) so the code into its components yields:
P = powertrain
0 = generic OBD II
1 = Air/fuel metering system
46 = possibly the turbo/boost controller.

This leads to the question: when was the last time you cleaned your boost sensor? This MAY cause this code even tho it applies to O2 sensors, the boost sensor it one of our boost sensors.

So this suggests to me that IF the boost sensor is dirty, then it may be causing overfuelling that results in a trouble code related to the turbo and you may not be metering fuel proportionaltely to the applied boost as percieved through the MAF.

If the code remains I would suggest you then clean the MAF. BUT please don't scrub it - buy and use the proper MAF cleaner. There is a delicate little platinum resisitor that measures the cooling effect of incoming air and so calculates the density of that air to optimise combustion. The brake cleaners are too harsh too.

These need to be cleaned (even tho the manuals don't say so) at every oil change.

As this could cause the fault code it is a starting point applicable for a diesel. It goes down to a lack of understanding of servce life of diesels by those who wrote the manuals.

Last edited:

Markheaven

Reaction score
Etc problem

at last had a code P0146, 02 sensor circuit no activity (bank1 censor 3)
just got to understand what it means now.
any help please

Hi,
How did you get on with your problem with the etc flashing light?
I have got the same problem with my 2006 2.8 crd and have just returned from my jeep dealer who check the vehicle and could find no fault or any code stored.
All the best,
Mark from aber.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
How did you get on with your problem with the etc flashing light?
I have got the same problem with my 2006 2.8 crd and have just returned from my jeep dealer who check the vehicle and could find no fault or any code stored.
All the best,
Mark from aber.

I have seen on other KJ forums that this can be caused by resting your left foot on the brake pedal while having the right foot on the throttle or by using "left foot braking". The light is supposedly turned off by turning the ignition ON/OFF a few times.

Does your RHD CRD have the Throttle Sensor at the throttle pedal itself or does it use a cable drive from the pedal, across the top of the engine, to the Throttle sensor mounted there in the left side of the engine bay...this is what I have on my 2002 Export CRD....I suspect your newer CRD has the Throttle Sensor right at the pedal. If this is the case then check for wet carpets in that area as water in the connector there could cause this problem!

Latest posts

Members online