Electronic TB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a warning to all of you that have the electronic TB,be it in a Jeep or other vehicle.

If you don't have a clue what you are doing do not try and perform maintenance on your vehicle without having help(from someone who actually knows,not thick they know) or researching it 1st.

The below pics are from a '08 Avenger with a VVT 2.4 with 138k.The customer stated he was getting poor performance and low mpg's.I suggested plugs(over due) and a fuel induction cleaning service.The customer in all his wisdom thought he could do it himself for 1/4 of the price.Sure he got the plug change right but failed at cleaning the TB since it was electronic.Trying to save a buck cost him over $400 extra since he destroyed his TB.

You must be registered for see images attach

Notice the stripped gear? He forced the butterfly open while cleaning it.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whoopsie.

and fyi I hate the eThrottle in mine.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know it seems that everyone is a mechanic and knows how to fix it and whats wrong before you even look at it for them. Tjkj is right seek advice and research first.

Last edited:

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a problem everywhere. When I was in computer it was the same and in electricity it's the same again. People have to learn the hard way.
I may sound stupid but, what is an electronic TB ?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ETB electronic throttle bodys are on Libertys starting in 05or07 and newer thought you were making a joke. Sorry though it was funny and thats why rolling eyes laughing.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ETB electronic throttle bodys are on Libertys starting in 05or07 and newer thought you were making a joke. Sorry though it was funny and thats why rolling eyes laughing.

Gotcha. Nah I was being serious :icon_lol:, didn't know how to tell if you had an ETB or not but figured it would've been on the newer KJs anyway

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle body. Troy do we have the ETB?
Starting in '07 the 3.7 got that junk.No throttle cable,just a electric motor so the ESP can kill your fun by controlling the throttle and not your right foot.

Also every vehicle made today has that type of throttle body.2 years ago the Challenger Drag Pack was deemed "nons treet legal" and one of the factors in that was it had a throttle cable.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a problem everywhere. When I was in computer it was the same and in electricity it's the same again. People have to learn the hard way...

I did computer repair for years before I went back to school. I got a lot of business from someone's Brother-In-Law turning an easy repair into a disaster. :mf_pcwhack:

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also every vehicle made today has that type of throttle body.2 years ago the Challenger Drag Pack was deemed "nons treet legal" and one of the factors in that was it had a throttle cable.

Wow. Looks like I won't be buying a new car ever now

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

'07+ is drive by wire. I have that shit. :icon_cry:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep's drive by wire *****, that's all I know. Some are good some aren't. so glad mine is still tried and true old school. Hopefully newer jeeps aren't so bad as the one's I have driven before. The worst I've ever driven is a commander with the 3.7. I thought something was wrong with it when I drove it.

So what do you do? have someone open the throttle for you, or is there a way to open the butterfly? what's the trick?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'07+ is drive by wire. I have that shit. :icon_cry:

you should see how bad it is with a stick. I've NEVER had a vehicle ever that stalls so readily. on the plus side the cruise control is flawless for engagement and speed maintenance. :flame:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you do? have someone open the throttle for you, or is there a way to open the butterfly? what's the trick?
Eitehr remove the TB and clean both sides that way without moving the butterfly or have someone turn the key to run,engine off,and floor it or use a stick or pedal depressor to hold the gas pedal all the way down.

Do not get your fingers close to that butterfly,it will take your finger right off if you stick it in the TB and it slams shut.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've serviced a couple of those for friends. First time, I went with the number one rule:

If it's delicate, precision parts...and doesn't seem to move, do not force it. Find out why. Even if it means taking the side cover off and apart like you did.

None of this is rocket science, but the world is still not idiot proof.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 Mazda 6 had the ETB and it *****. Give it gas to get through an intersection and a few moments later it would actually go.

seanesca99

Reaction score
I want 5" lift for my Jeep Liberty 04 Renegade!

I dont know where to start. Im a newbie to kj's! Please someone help. I need a list of what I need or where I can order a 5" lift!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should start by reading threads in the Lift section and starting your own thread there.