Egr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way of disconnecting the egr valve without throwing up any fault codes?, and are the benefits i've read about (more power, better mpg ) really attainable?.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers Tony will look deeper in to this ,seems it will throw up codes and cel if simply unplugged unless you unplug the maf after starting up and reconnect before shutting down, but that'd be a pain.The kit that someones putting together looks interesting but i'd like to read a long term test.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mechanic i know has suggested just removing the vaccum pipe from the egr valve thus rendering it in operable and he says it wont throw up any codes because your not removing any electrical connections ,anyone any thoughts or feedback on this?.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not going to dig through the manual but I am pretty sure the EGR is not vacuum driven on the CRD.

There are multiple solutions to the problem. Some recommend a plate and that apparently will not throw a code but I have only seen it mentioned without much documentation.

A LOSTKJ member designed a circuit and another member then packaged it for members for a slight fee and it seems to work real well. It does not throw a code but it does require hacking into the wiring harness. I just got the kit but will not install it until I either find the electrical connectors to plug it in at the air box or until my warranty is out.

Finally you can just pull the plug and either live with the CEL or use a SCANGAUGEII or some other OBDII scan tool to read and erase the CEL. That is the mode I am in and it works just fine. If you are interested in the SGII I negotiated a $20 discount group buy at LOSTKJ.

As to mileage, I see between 1.5 and 2 MPG with the EGR disabled and I know that those that run it disabled (except for dealer visits) are not replacing the EGR's for about $350 a whack every few 10K miles.

Members online

No members online now.